Vegan chocolate chip zucchini bread made with whole wheat flour. This bread requires only 1 bowl and 15 minutes of preparation. Perfect for a sweet breakfast, snack or dessert!
Who’s ready for fall baking?! I am! But I do have one last summer recipe using zucchini for you guys.
This recipe is made with whole wheat flour. It’s sweetened with cane sugar, brown sugar and applesauce, plus spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg. It’s the perfect transition recipe into fall.
Zucchini, apple sauce and oil make this recipe incredibly moist. It can be enjoyed for breakfast, snacks or dessert. It’s truly the best way to use up your summer zucchini. Not to mention, it’s vegan!
Notes on the Recipe:
- To make this zucchini bread completely vegan, make sure that you use vegan sugar (no, not all sugar is vegan) and vegan chocolate chips. I use Enjoy Life chocolate chips.
- You don’t need to add the chocolate chips. You could try walnuts or raisins instead. Though of course I do recommend the chocolate.
- This recipe is made with brown sugar, cane sugar and apple sauce for sweetness. It’s not as sweet as most zucchini bread recipes, but you might not even notice it!
- It’s important to spoon and level the flour.
What is the Spoon and Level Method to Measure Flour?
Use a spoon to scoop the flour and transfer it to the measuring cup. Use the back of a knife to scrape the top and level the flour. This will result in less flour than scooping the flour directly with the measuring cup. It will affect the end result of your baked goods.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- 1/2 cup apple sauce, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup light-tasting oil, such as avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose whole wheat flour, spoon and leveled
- 1/4 cup granulated cane sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease a bread pan or line with parchment paper.
- Grate the zucchini and add it to a medium mixing bowl. Don't squeeze out the liquid of the zucchini.
- To the same bowl, add the apple sauce, oil and vanilla. Whisk together until combined.
- Add the brown sugar and cane sugar. Stir to combine, then stir in the remaining dry ingredients. Avoid overmixing. The mixture will be thick.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared bread pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out mostly clean. Let it cool on a wire rack completely before slicing. This will prevent the bread from crumbling.
If you make this zucchini bread, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!