A delicious vegan apple crisp made with basic ingredients. This recipe is heavy on the crisp, perfectly sweetened and spiced with cinnamon. It’s truly the best fall dessert!
Apple season is here! And I’m back with the BEST apple recipe: Vegan apple crisp.
This recipe is made with ingredients you likely already have on hand. It also requires minimal work. Think 20 minutes of preparation and 40 minutes of baking.
How to Make the BEST Vegan Apple Crisp:
There are a few important steps to making this recipe, but don’t worry, it’s easier than it looks.
- Start by preparing the topping: Simply combine the dry ingredients, then add in the vegan butter until you get a moist, crumbly mixture. Place the topping mixture in the fridge while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. It’s important for the vegan butter to stay cold. It will give you the best texutre.
- Next, prepare the apple mixture: whisk together the lemon juice, cinnamon, brown sugar, flour, vanilla, salt and water. Add your diced and peeled apples and toss until evenly coated.
- Assemble the recipe: Spread the apples at the bottom of the cast-iron skillet. Sprinkle the topping and bake for 40 minutes at 375 degrees.
Notes on the Recipe:
- This recipe is slightly lower in added sugar than traditional apple crisp recipes. You’ll still get a perfectly sweet crisp thanks to the naturally sweet apples and a mixture of cane sugar and brown sugar.
- I used Camino golden cane sugar (Turbinado sugar). Regular granulated sugar will work too. Note that not every brand of sugar is vegan!
- You can use white or whole wheat all-purpose flour. I used whole wheat.
- You can use a variety of apples to make your crisp. I used McIntosh. Granny Smith is a great tart apple to use for crisps. Honeycrisp and Cortland are other great options.
Looking for an apple crisp recipe with less added sugar? Check out my fruit-sweetened apple crisp recipe here.
Vegan Apple Crisp
- 8 medium apples, peeled and diced (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose white or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup all-purpose white or whole wheat flour, spoon and leveled
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup cane sugar (see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegan butter
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Lightly grease a 12" cast-iron skillet with vegan butter.
- Start by making the crisp topping: In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add the vegan butter and combine it with the dry ingredients using your finger until everything is moist and clumps together. Set it aside in the fridge while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- In a medium-large mixing bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and water.
- Peel and dice your apples into small cubes. You can also do slices if you prefer. Place it in the lemon/brown sugar/flour mixture. Toss until evenly coated.
- Spread the apples in the prepared cast-iron skillet. Top with the crisp topping.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 375F until the topping is golden. Remove from the oven and serve warm or cold. It's also delicious served with (vegan) ice cream.
If you make this vegan apple crisp, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!