Welcoming a new week with a new muffin recipe. This time, I have the healthiest banana bran muffins for you guys.
Where do you stand on bran muffins? Do you like them? Personally, they were never my go-to muffin flavor, but I do appreciate their extra dose of fiber. And really, I’m up for any healthy baked good.
I’m calling these muffins the healthiest banana bran muffins for good reasons. First, they’re sweetened with fruit (as are all my recipes). Second, they’re made with whole wheat flour (believe it or not, but most bran muffins aren’t). Finally, they’re packed with fiber thanks to the added bran. That last one goes for every bran muffin of course.
Put all of these things together and you’ve got the healthiest muffins. They may not literally be the healthiest on earth, but they’re the healthiest muffins I know, so just go with it.
I first decided to create a healthy low-sugar bran muffin after being asked by countless patients for a healthy bran muffin recipe. I searched and I searched and all I could find were high-sugar bran muffins. So here I am, sharing with you my low-sugar version.
If you’re not a bran muffin lover, I’m here to tell you that these are no ordinary bran muffins.
I won’t lie, these are no dessert muffins. Personally, I love them best for a snack served with nut butter, butter/margarine or even jam. They may not be sweet, dessert-worthy muffins, but they make the perfect base for your favorite bread toppings. Think of it as a high-fiber, banana flavored bread.
Update: I want to say again that these muffins aren’t overly sweet. They’re more like a lightly sweet breakfast bread, which is perfect for a snack with nut butter, jam or other toppings. So before you tell me that these are not sweet, please know that this is not the intention of this recipe. Please keep this in mind when you review this recipe. That being said, most of you said you LOVED this recipe! I love them too and I’m so happy to see you guys make this recipe. Enjoy!
The Healthiest Banana Bran Muffins
- 2 large overripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (or other neutral tasting oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease the bottom of a muffin pan or use muffin liners.
- Mix all the wet ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- Whisk all the dry ingredients together in a different bowl, then stir in the wet ingredients until combined.
- Transfer to the prepared muffin pan, making 12 muffins. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let them cool a few minutes before removing from the pan.
If you try this recipe, make sure to tag your photo #unsweetenedcaroline on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Don’t forget to also tag me @unsweetened.caroline on Instagram so I can see your creations!