Fruit-sweetened peanut butter & jelly muffins. These muffins are sweetened with bananas and jelly and are made with whole wheat flour for a nutritious snack!
This recipe was originally shared in 2018 and has been updated with new photography and additional details.
These peanut butter & Jelly muffins are sweetened with bananas and jelly only, which makes them perfect for young kids – Or adults looking for a healthy and lower sugar snack.
This recipe is inspired by my fruit-sweetened breakfast banana bread recipe. For these peanut butter & jelly muffins, I added a swirl of peanut butter and a little spoonful of jam in the center. They’re lightly sweet and are made with whole wheat flour for a higher fiber option. They’re nutritious and perfect for a light breakfast on-the-go or a satisfying snack. I like to top mine with nut butter for more protein and a spoonful of jelly for more sweetness.
Notes on the Recipe:
- This recipe was originally developed using one egg. However, I added a vegan option that results in a very similar muffin. They won’t rise as much, but they’re equally moist and delicious. Since transitioning to a vegan diet, this is the recipe that I always make. I wanted to keep both options for those that loved the old version.
- These muffins are NOT overly sweet. They’re simply sweetened with bananas and jelly. Think of them as a lightly sweet bread that’s ideal for a snack, served with extra peanut butter and jelly. The toppings are highly recommended.
- I haven’t tried a gluten-free version yet, but these are based off my banana bread, which does work with buckwheat flour. Keep in mind that the muffins will be a little more dense and as I haven’t tried them yet, I can’t guarantee it will work. Some readers have had success with gluten-free flour mixes. If you try a gluten-free version that works, let me know in the comments, it could help others.
More Muffin Recipes:
- Fruit-Sweetened Cardamom Blueberry Muffins
- Easy Vegan Pumpkin Muffins
- Maple Carrot Muffins with Streusel Topping
- Blueberry Banana Almond Flour Muffins
- The Healthiest Banana Bran Muffins
- Fruit-Sweetened Apple Muffins
Fruit-Sweetened Peanut Butter & Jelly Muffins
- 1 3/4 cup overripe bananas, mashed (about 3-4 large)
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk of choice
- 1/4 cup oil, such as olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- Jam of choice (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease your muffin pan with oil or butter/margarine or use muffin liners if preferred.
- In a large bowl, mash your bananas. Whisk in your milk, oil and vanilla.
- Add your dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix all together.
- Stir in the peanut butter. You want to make evenly distributed swirls without mixing it completely into the dough.
- Transfer approximately half of the mixture to your greased muffin pan, making 12 muffins. Top each with about 1/2 tablespoon of jam, then top with the remaining muffin batter. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let them cool a few minutes before removing from the pan.
If you make these peanut butter and jelly muffins, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!