Vegan butter chickpea. A plant-based version of butter chicken! This simple recipe is made mostly with pantry ingredients in just around 30 minutes. Serve it with rice for a delicious and comforting meal.
A vegan version of my vegetarian Instant Pot butter chickpea. This simple recipe is so comforting and flavorful. Plus, it’s made mostly with pantry ingredients!
What you need: vegan butter, garlic, onions, ginger, canned chickpeas, tomato paste, coconut milk and a few spices. That’s it! Serve it with rice, vegan naan bread, cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice if desired.
This is by no means a traditional butter chicken recipe (of course, it’s vegan!), but it is my plant-based version.
Notes on the Recipe:
- I highly recommend using high-fat coconut milk in this recipe to compensate for the missing yogurt and cream from butter chicken. However, you can use low-fat coconut milk in a pinch.
- You can also make this recipe in the Instant Pot if preferred! I haven’t tried it in the slow cooker, but it might work.
How to Make Butter Chickpea in the Instant Pot
Simply add all the ingredients to the Instant Pot and stir it all together. Turn on the soup setting (20 minutes) and let it cook. When it’s done cooking, release the steam using the quick release.
That’s it! Serve it with your rice, vegan naan, lime juice and cilantro if desired.
I’ve been making this recipe regularly for years and it’s one of my favorites! It’s the ultimate vegan comfort food. It’s also a great meal-prep recipe to prepare over the weekend. I hope you’ll love it!
Simple Vegan Butter Chickpea
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 19oz (540ml) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 14oz (400ml) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 5.5 (156ml) can tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Squeeze of lime juice (optional)
- Cilantro, for serving (optional)
- Rice, for serving (optional)
- Vegan naan bread for serving (optional)
- Heat the vegan butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and minced garlic and ginger. Sauté for 5 minutes or until fragrant and lightly golden. Add the garam masala, cumin, chili powder and salt. Cook for another minute.
- Stir in the coconut milk, tomato paste and chickpeas. Bring to a low boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low-medium and simmer covered for 20 to 25 minutes. Stir every few minutes to avoid sticking.
- Serve with rice and/or vegan naan bread and top with cilantro and a drizzle of lime juice if desired.
If you make this vegan butter chickpea, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!