Perfect Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
The perfect vegan chocolate chip cookies. These incredible vegan cookies are soft in the middle with slightly crispy edges. Plus, there’s no chilling required!
A classic vegan chocolate chip cookie, made vegan. These are my absolute favorite cookies. They’re perfectly soft in the middle and slightly crispy around the edges. The combination of white and brown sugar creates an incredible depth of flavor, better texture and the right amount of sweetness. You won’t believe that these cookies are vegan. They’re just as good (if not better) than any regular chocolate chip cookie I’ve ever tried. I hope you’ll love them as much as I do!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients:
- Flax seeds: Ground flax seeds are soaked in water to create an egg substitute.
- Vegan butter: I use vegan Becel, which is salted.
- Granulated cane sugar and brown sugar: Make sure to use vegan sugar to make this recipe completely vegan.
- Vanilla extract: A generous amount of vanilla extract for flavor.
- Flour: This recipe is made with all-purpose white flour.
- Cornstarch: This helps create thicker cookies.
- Baking soda and salt: baking soda will help the cookies rise and the salt will balance the sweetness and enhance the flavors.
- Chocolate chips: You can use dark or semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips. I prefer using semi-sweet.
How-To Make the Perfect Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies:
Here are the steps to make the best vegan chocolate chip cookies.
- Getting Ready
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Make the Flax Egg
Make the flax egg: In a small bowl, combine the ground flax seeds and water. Let it thicken as you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- Combine the Ingredients
In a medium bowl, add the vegan butter, cane sugar and brown sugar. Beat together until creamy. Add the vanilla extract and flax egg to the wet mixture and stir to combine. In the same bowl (or a different one), add the cornstarch, flour, baking soda and salt. Stir until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Roll the dough into 12 small balls and place them on the baking sheet, keeping some distance between each cookie. Bake for 10-13 minutes or until lightly golden. Let them cool for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies FAQ:
Use refrigerated vegan Becel or a soft vegan butter for the best results. I haven’t tried this recipe with Miyoko’s vegan butter or other vegan butters that are harder when refrigerated. If using these, you might need to let them soften at room temperature a bit before using. I can’t guarantee the same results.
I haven’t tested a gluten-free version yet, but I will update the recipe when I do. If you want to try making them gluten-free, I would recommend using a 1:1 gluten-free flour mix. If you want a tested gluten-free vegan chocolate chip cookie, you can check out this recipe.
To measure the flour using the “spoon and level” method, use a spoon to scoop the flour, transfer it to the measuring cup, then level the flour using the back of a knife. Do not scoop the measuring cup directly into the flour and do not shake the measuring cup to fit more flour. This will result in dry cookies from using too much flour.
This recipe was tested by mixing the ingredients by hand, using a spoon. I personally don’t enjoy using a stand mixer to make cookies, but you can use one if you prefer. Just make sure to mix the ingredients in the same order as instructed in the recipe and don’t overmix the cookies once the flour is added.
More Vegan Cookie Recipes:
- The Best Vegan Oatmeal Cookies (Nut-Free)
- London Fog Sugar Cookies (Vegan)
- Vegan Matcha Sugar Cookies
- Vegan Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
- Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten-Free)
- Oatmeal Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (Vegan + Gluten-Free)
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies Video:
Perfect Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons water, room temperature
- 1/2 cup salted vegan butter, cold (I use vegan Becel)
- 1/4 cup granulated cane sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose white flour, spoon and leveled
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips, semi-sweet or dark
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Make the flax egg: In a small bowl, combine the ground flax seeds and water. Let it thicken as you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- In a medium bowl, add the vegan butter, cane sugar and brown sugar. Beat together until creamy.
- Add the vanilla extract and flax egg to the wet mixture and stir to combine.
- In the same bowl, add the cornstarch, flour, baking soda and salt. Stir until combined. Avoid overmixing. You can use a different bowl for these dry ingredients before mixing them to the wet ingredients if preferred. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Roll the dough into 12 small balls and place them on the baking sheet, keeping some distance between each cookie.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes or until lightly golden. Let them cool for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack.
If you make these vegan chocolate chip cookies, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!