I think this Friday calls for loaded lentil burritos. What do you think?
It’s been a long busy week (as are all my weeks, really) and I’m looking forward to having an extra day off on Monday for Family Day. By day off, I mean one extra day to test and photograph recipes, but when you love what you do, it still often feels like a vacation. Or at least most of the time.
There’s a snow storm here as I’m writing this and I can’t think of a better day to stay cozy inside, working in the kitchen. A day like this calls for baking and cooking healthy comfort food.
Today though, I’m sharing these delicious loaded lentil burritos.
Do you remember the lentil taco meat I shared a few weeks back? This is where you put it to good use. In a flour tortilla with lots of salsa, avocado, greens, sautéed peppers and onions and sour cream (I use plain yogurt instead, but you could also use a vegan sour cream!).
You can easily make this burrito vegan or gluten-free. Simply use vegan sour cream or use corn or gluten-free tortillas. It’s a recipe that’s not really a recipe, but I think those are the best kinds. You have the control, but with a little guidance. For a fun family dinner, serve a make-your-own burrito spread with lentil taco meat, vegetables of choice, salsa, guacamole and other favorite toppings. It’s fun and easy!
You can also look past the classic burrito fillings. Think roasted sweet potatoes (my favorite!), shredded carrots or beets, sautéed mushrooms… Use what you have! I love to fill mine with lentil taco meat, salsa, avocado, sautéed peppers and onions and a touch of plain yogurt. So simple. So delicious.
Loaded Lentil Burritos
- 4 12" whole grain tortillas
- 1 batch lentil taco meat
- 1 large avocado
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Cilantro to taste, chopped
- Pinch of salt
- Bell pepper, sliced or diced
- Red onion, sliced or diced
- Green onions
- Tomatoes, diced
- Leafy greens of choice
- Plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- If you don't have it ready yet, prepare the lentil taco meat.
- Prepare the simple guacamole. In a small bowl, mash the avocado. Add the lime juice, chopped cilantro to taste and salt. Set aside.
- Assemble the burritos: Add the guacamole and the lentil taco meat to the flour tortillas. Add other fillings of choice in each burrito. Wrap and serve or fry in a skillet before serving.
If you try this recipe, make sure to tag your photo #unsweetenedcaroline on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Don’t forget to also tag me @unsweetened.caroline on Instagram so I can see your creations!