A simple vegan lentil lasagna soup. This easy and comforting soup is packed with flavor and requires less than 30 minutes of work. Top it with vegan parmesan and you’ll have a delicious and nutritious vegan dinner.
September is just a few days away, which means it’s officially time to transition to warm and cozy fall recipes. I’ve been saving up this recipe for months and I’m excited to finally share it here with you.
This vegan lasagna soup is quick and easy, plus it only requires a handful of basic pantry ingredients and vegetables. It’s the perfect comforting recipe for cold and busy weeknights. It’s also great recipe for meal prep!
What you’ll need: Olive oil, onion, garlic, mushrooms, lentils, canned diced and crushed tomatoes, lasagna noodles, vegetable broth and dried herbs.
How to Make a Vegan Lasagna Soup
Start by sautéing onions and garlic in a large pot with olive oil. Once fragrant, add the mushrooms and let it sauté for another 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Once the vegetables and golden and fragrant, add the lentils, vegetable broth, canned tomatoes and herbs. Bring it to a boil, then let it simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are cooked through.
Finally, bring it to a boil one more time and add the noodles. Cook it all together until the noodles are cooked to your liking. Enjoy!
The recipe is done in less than one hour, including less than 30 minutes of work. To save some time, you can also use canned lentils (see the details below).
How to Store
Let the soup cool down, then store it in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 4 days. The noodles will soften with time, but otherwise, the soup will still be delicious!
Notes on Substitutions
- Don’t have dried lentils on hand? You can also add a can of lentils in a pinch. Simply drain a can of lentils and add them at the same time as the noodles. This option will require less cook time. Find more details in the recipe notes.
- This recipe uses crushed and diced tomatoes for a mix of texture. Feel free to use only crushed or diced tomatoes if that’s what you have.
- You can top your soup with store-bought or homemade vegan parmesan. I use this recipe for homemade vegan parmesan.
- Use your favorite lasagna noodles. White, whole wheat and gluten-free will all work. Follow the box instructions for the cooking time.
More Vegan Soup Recipes
- Creamy Chickpea Noodle Soup
- Simple Lentil Soup
- Quick Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Creamy Vegan Cheesy Broccoli Soup
- Italian Bean & Vegetable Soup
- Vegan Black Bean Enchilada Soup
Lentil Lasagna Soup (Vegan)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 cups (227g) cremini mushrooms, diced
- 1 can (125ml) tomato paste
- 2 cups (500ml) crushed tomatoes, canned
- 1 cup (250ml) diced tomatoes, canned
- 8 cups (2L) vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more or less to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 5 lasagna noodles, broken into bite-sized pieces
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes or until golden and fragrant. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for another 5-10 minutes or until the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated. Cook them closer to 10 minutes to bring out the flavors.
- Add the canned tomatoes, vegetable broth, lentils, oregano, basil and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low-medium heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are cooked through.
- Bring the soup to a boil one more time and add the noodle pieces. Cook over medium-high heat until the noodles are cooked to your liking (follow the package's instructions). Taste and add more salt or pepper as needed. Serve immediately with vegan parmesan if desired.
If you make this lentil lasagna soup, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!