Italian bean & vegetable soup. Inspired by the popular minestrone soup, but without the added pasta. This nutritious soup can be made on the stovetop or in the slow cooker!
Looking for a light soup that’s packed with vegetables and plant-based protein? This soup is for you!
This recipe requires only 20 minutes of preparation and includes two different cooking methods – On the stovetop and with a slow cooker.
Here’s what you need:
- Canned beans: The recipe calls for kidney beans, but black beans, pinto beans and chickpeas would work too.
- Canned diced tomatoes and tomato paste
- Onions and garlic
- Vegetable broth: I use unsalted. If you use salted vegetable broth, reduce the salt added and adjust to taste.
- Vegetables: I recommend celery and carrots. However, you can add different vegetables if desired. If adding spinach, make sure to add it in the last minute of cooking as instructed in the recipe. Spinach cooks very quickly!
- Dried herbs: Oregano, basil and thyme give this recipe extra flavor.
Here’s how to make this soup:
Method 1: Stovetop
This method requires a little more time, but is perfect for when you need something on the table within an hour. First, you sauté your vegetables. Then, you add the herbs, tomatoes, broth and beans. Finally, you let it all simmer for 35 minutes until the vegetables are soft. All you need is 20 minutes of preparation and minimal attention to your pot of soup.
Method 2: Slow Cooker
This method is best if you want dinner ready when you get home from work or at the end of a long day. It requires only 20 minutes of preparation in the morning before you let it cook together all day. No stirring required.
Whichever method you choose, you’ll end up with a flavorful and light vegetable soup.
The best part about this recipe? You can use your vegetables of choice. Carrots and celery are easy options (and celery adds a nice flavor), but you can easily add some chopped green beans, peas or even potatoes! If you have vegetables that are about to go bad, throw them in the soup!
Italian Bean & Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 can (156ml) tomato paste
- 1 can (796ml) diced tomatoes with juices
- 2 cups cooked dark red kidney beans (see note)
- 4 cups vegetable broth, no salt added
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1 teaspoon basil, dried
- 2 teaspoons oregano, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 large handful spinach (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots and celery. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the thyme, basil, oregano and salt. Cook for 1 minute, then add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, beans and broth.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and let simmer, covered for 35 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked. Stir in the spinach in the last minute of cooking.
Slow Cooker Method
- Add all the ingredients (except the spinach) in your slow cooker. You don’t need the oil in this method. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours until the vegetables are cooked. Stir in the spinach and let it cook one minute until soft.
If you make this bean and vegetable soup, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!