I’m going back to my roots today with a traditional Acadian recipe – Instant Pot Lentil fricot.
As I said, fricot is a traditional Acadian recipe, which I grew up eating when living in the Maritimes. Traditional fricot is a dish made of chicken, potatoes, carrots, onions and dumplings, but since eating a mostly vegetarian diet, I decided it was time to make a plant-based version of one of my childhood favorites.
If you’re not from the Maritimes, then think of fricot as a sort of chicken and dumplings soup. And believe me, it’s an easy and comforting recipe.
My version is made chicken-free thanks to lentils. I used red lentils for protein, which also thickens the dish to make it stew-like and comforting. It’s then flavored with vegetable broth (instead of chicken broth), summer savory, onions, garlic and a touch of butter.
To make it even easier, I made it in the Instant pot with a slow cooker version. That way, you simply need to chop the vegetables and throw everything in the slow cooker (or Instant Pot) to cook. It has to be the easiest soup/stew recipe I’ve ever made.
I hope you’ll give this Instant Pot lentil fricot a try! Trust me, fricot is loved in Atlantic Canada for a reason.
Now that I’m living on the other side of the country, I’m doing whatever I can to bring my New Brunswick memories with me. Plus, it seems fitting to share the recipe now, after spending last weekend with my grandparents who were visiting from home.
With that, I’ll leave you to the recipe.
Instant Pot Lentil Fricot
- 4 large (or 6 small) potatoes, diced (you can keep the peel)
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth, no salt added
- 1 1/2 teaspoons summer savory, dried
- 1 teaspoon butter or margarine
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour (I used all purpose whole wheat)
- 3/4 cup milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Add all the ingredients, except for the dumplings, to your Instant Pot. Stir together and cook on soup setting for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the dumpling ingredients.
- Once done cooking, release the steam. Spoon the dumpling dough on the soup, cover and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Release the steam once again. Ladle into bowls and serve with pepper to taste.
- Add all the ingredients to the bowl of your slow cooker. Stir together and cover. Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Once done cooking, prepare the dumplings by mixing the ingredients in a small bowl. Spoon the dumpling dough onto the soup, then cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes until the dumplings are cooked.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with pepper to taste.
If you try this recipe, make sure to tag your photo #unsweetenedcaroline on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Don’t forget to also tag me @unsweetened.caroline on Instagram so I can see your creations!