Healthier peanut noodle and tofu bowl. My current favorite easy dinner.
Have you ever tried a savory peanut butter recipe? If not, you need to try this out. Trust me, this peanut sauce is everything.
Funny thing is, this recipe started off as a pasta-free salad with almond vinaigrette. Somehow this happened instead. I have no regrets.
Before we moved to Saint John, I used to make peanut noodles almost weekly. Or at least I did for a few months, right before we moved in an apartment with my friend who’s allergic to peanuts. Naturally, this recipe was put on the back burner until I could use peanut butter again. I mean, I could have made a peanut-free version with Wow butter, which could have been good, but I decided to wait. In my opinion, it was well worth the wait. Peanut butter sauce has to me my favorite. There’s just something so satisfying about this creamy, rich and salty sauce.
For a lighter noodle bowl, I decided to use a mix of whole wheat vermicelli noodles (or white pasta with added fiber) and zucchini noodles. This bowl is also packed with red peppers, onions, ginger and garlic for added flavor and tofu for a protein boost. In other words, it’s a noodle bowl that happens to be vegan and filled with vegetables. If you want more, you could even add some julienned carrots.
Now for the recipe: The pasta is cooked in one saucepan while the vegetables are sauteed in a skillet. Everything is then thrown together and mixed with the peanut sauce. I like to top the bowls with purple cabbage, green onions, cilantro, chopped peanuts and a drizzle of lime juice for a little something extra.
It can all be done in under 30 minutes if you prepare the vegetables and sauce while the pasta is cooking. That means it can be a great weeknight dinner!
On another note, I’m planning a few exciting things for May starting next week (how is that even possible?!). Make sure to check out the blog and my Instagram page for some great giveaways next month!
Healthier Peanut Noodles & Tofu Bowl
- 1/2 box vermicelli noodles (or white noodles with added fiber)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced in half-moons
- 1 inch fresh ginger, minced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 bloc (350g) extra-firm tofu, cubed
- 1 medium zucchini, spiralized
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar or rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soya sauce
- 1/4 cup pasta water
- Red cabbage, chopped
- Green onions, chopped
- Roasted peanut, chopped
- Drizzle of lime juice
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onions, ginger and garlic 5 minutes until fragrant.
- Add red peppers and tofu and cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the zucchini noodles for the last minute.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of water to a boil and cook noodles according to package's instructions.
- Prepare peanut sauce: In a jar or small bowl, whisk together peanut butter and vinegar. Thin it out with soy sauce and water.
- Add the cooked noodles and peanut sauce to the skillet with cooked vegetables and tofu. Stir together until evenly coated with sauce. Serve with purple cabbage, green onions, peanuts, cilantro and a drizzle of lime juice if desired.
If you try this recipe, make sure to tag your photo #unsweetenedcaroline on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Don’t forget to also tag me @unsweetened.caroline on Instagram so I can see your creations!