This was an unexpected recipe.
I made this Glowing Green Spirulina Smoothie earlier this week with no intention of taking pictures. When I blended the ingredients (without measuring the ingredients of course), I discovered this beautiful mermaid color! I knew I had to share it with you guys!
The only problem, like I said, is that I didn’t measure the ingredients… I did try to recreate the recipe as much as I could and I think I came up with a similar result after two tries! I just had to find the right proportion of frozen bananas, kale, blueberries, milk and spirulina.
What is spirulina? It’s a blue-green algae powder that’s high in protein, iron and other nutrients. Although it’s promoted for many health benefits (don’t trust everything you read on the internet!), I simply love to use it for it’s beautiful color. You can’t taste it in this smoothie, but if you aren’t used to spirulina, you might find that it has a bit of an aftertaste. I suggest that you start with a smaller amount of spirulina, about half a teaspoon, and gradually increase the quantity. Some people drink it as a shot mixed with water, but I don’t see myself trying that anytime soon! Hah!
Don’t you just love the color?! I hope you’ll enjoy this smoothie as much as we do. 🙂
Glowing Green Spirulina Smoothie
- 1 banana, frozen
- 1/4 cup blueberries, frozen
- 1 cup kale
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 teaspoon spirulina powder
- Slice a banana and place in an airtight container or plastic bag. Freeze overnight or for at least 12-18 hours.
- When the banana is ready, add all the ingredients in a high speed blender. Blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge.
If you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag your photo #unsweetenedcaroline