Fudgy gluten-free brownies made with simple ingredients. These brownies are also vegan and sweetened with dates and applesauce!
It’s taken me 2 months and countless attempts, but I’m finally sharing my fudgy brownies that also happen to be gluten-free. I’ve been teasing you guys long enough.
They may be gluten-free, vegan AND sweetened with dates, but trust me, that doesn’t make them any less good. They’re soft, rich and perfectly sweetened with fruit, including dates and apple sauce. Honestly, these may just be the fudgiest brownies you’ll ever try.
Like I said, I’ve tested them countless times over the past months and none of them were good enough to my liking. I mean, they were delicious enough to eat and enjoy over the past months (I’m not going to say no to fudgy brownies!), but I wanted them to be more than just good. I needed them to be the best brownies I’ve ever tasted. And I’ve tasted some good brownies in my life (these sweet potato brownies being my other favorites).
So these are what I came up with.
How to Make the Fudgiest Brownies:
Add the dates, applesauce and other liquid ingredients to a blended or food processor. Process until smooth, then add the dry ingredients. Blend a little longer to combine and you’ll get the most delicious fruit-sweetened brownie batter. Seriously, the best part is always licking the spoon.
I also added a bit of chopped unsweetened chocolate for added richness, but of course you can omit that or use dark chocolate. Walnuts could also be a good addition.
Bake it all together in a bread pan and you’ll end up with warm, fudgy brownies.
It’s best to let it cool 30 minutes in the pan first, but I won’t judge you if you scoop it out when warm and top it with ice cream (yum). It might just make more of a mess, but that’s fine, it’ll taste incredible.
Fudgy Gluten-Free Brownies
- 1 1/2 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter or margarine (or light-tasting oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Chopped chocolate and/or walnuts (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Line a bread pan with parchement paper or lightly grease with vegan butter/margarine.
- Add the dates, apple sauce, butter and vanilla to a high-speed blender or food processor. Process until smooth. (There may be a few small pieces of dates, this is fine).
- Add the cocoa powder, oat flour, corn starch, baking soda and salt. Process until combined.
- Stir in chocolate or walnuts if desired.
- Transfer to the prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for at least 10-30 minutes. The longer you let it sit, the more it keeps its shape when cut.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge when completely cooled.
If you make these brownies, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!