Fruit-sweetened carrot cake loaf, just in time for Easter. This loaf is incredibly moist and naturally sweetened with dates and applesauce. Have it for breakfast, snacks or dessert!
A delicious fruit-sweetened Easter dessert. The best part about this carrot cake loaf? It can be a nutritious breakfast or snack, yet it’s sweet enough for dessert.
Unlike my favorite banana bread, this carrot cake loaf is sweetened with dates, applesauce (and pineapple if you’d like), which makes it sweeter. It’s insanely moist thanks to all the fruits and a touch of oil. I love it best when served with sunflower seed butter for a little boost of protein and extra flavor. It’s the best combination, trust me! Plus, this way, you’re combining carbs and protein for a nutritious breakfast or snack.
And if you’re looking for a vegan carrot cake loaf, check out my Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf with Streusel Topping.
Notes on the Recipe:
- Add raisins and/or nuts to the batter if desired.
- The loaf was a little overly moist using spelt flour, but I still loved it. If you love extra moist (almost lightly undercooked) desserts, you can try it using spelt. Whole wheat flour resulted in a dryer, but still very moist loaf. I used whole wheat bread flour.
- I haven’t tried it, but melted coconut oil or a light tasting oil should work too.
- Make sure that you use the spoon and level method to measure flour. To do this, take a spoon to scoop the flour and add it to a measuring cup. Take the back of a knife to scrape and level the top. If scooping the flour directly with the measuring cup, you will end up using more flour than the recipe requires.
- You can try replacing the applesauce with crushed pineapple (in the same amount) or you can do half pineapple and half applesauce.
More Fruit-Sweetened Dessert Recipes:
- Mini cookie dough chocolate mousse cups
- Vegan Berry Cheesecake Cups (Fruit-Sweetened)
- Fudgy gluten-free brownies
- Whole wheat carrot cake waffles
- Spiced banana cake with cream cheese frosting
- Chocolate coconut oat bars
Watch How to Make the Recipe:
Fruit-Sweetened Carot Cake Loaf
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup applesauce (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup carrots, finely grated
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat or spelt flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- Pinch of clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Walnuts and raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a loaf pan using butter or oil.
- In a food processor, add dates, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Process until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Don’t worry if you have small pieces of dates. Add the grated carrots and pulse a few times. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, clove, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Transfer the date mixture to the bowl as well as the eggs. Stir it all together until combined.
- Transfer to the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Wait 10 minutes before slicing.
If you make this carrot cake loaf, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!