Fruit-sweetened carrot cake loaf, just in time for Easter. This loaf is incredibly moist and naturally sweetened with dates and applesauce. Have it for breakfast, snacks or dessert!
Yes, I’m a little last-minute sharing an Easter recipe, but on my defense, these cookie dough mousse cups were meant as an Easter recipe as well.
Are you doing anything exciting for the long Easter weekend? Shaun and I are in Calgary to visit family and I’m so excited for a second weekend away (after visiting Nelson last weekend). We’re there for 4 days, spending time with family, exploring the city and hopefully stopping in Banff on the way back for a little hike. We haven’t been there since last summer when we drove across Canada and I’m so happy to be going back. Banff was definitely the highlight of our trip last summer, so it should be fun.
I won’t be cooking much this weekend, but I did bring a carrot cake loaf with us. I’ve been testing it all week, which means we have a lot of it in the fridge. I suppose I could share a little.
The best part about this carrot cake loaf? It can be a nutritious breakfast or snack, yet it’s sweet enough for dessert.
Unlike my favorite banana bread, this carrot cake loaf is sweetened with dates, applesauce (and pineapple if you’d like), which makes it sweeter. It’s insanely moist thanks to all the fruits and a touch of oil. I love it best when served with sunflower seed butter for a little boost of protein and extra flavor. It’s the best combination, trust me! Plus, this way, you’re combining carbs and protein for a healthier breakfast or snack.
Watch How to Make the Recipe:
Looking for more last-minute sugar-free Easter desserts? Here are some of my favorites:
- Mini cookie dough chocolate mousse cups
- Fudgy gluten-free brownies
- Whole wheat carrot cake waffles
- Savory Vegan Biscuits with Scallions
- Spiced banana cake with cream cheese frosting
- Chocolate coconut oat bars
Fruit-Sweetened Carot Cake Loaf
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup applesauce (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup carrots, finely grated
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat or spelt flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- Pinch of clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Walnuts and raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a loaf pan using butter or oil.
- In a food processor, add dates, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Process until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Don’t worry if you have small pieces of dates. Add the grated carrots and pulse a few times. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, clove, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Transfer the date mixture to the bowl as well as the eggs. Stir it all together until combined.
- Transfer to the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Wait 10 minutes before slicing.
If you make this carrot cake loaf, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!