Easy protein overnight oats. This simple breakfast recipe is vegan, gluten-free and packed with plant-based protein. It’s a great option for a quick breakfast that will keep you full for hours. Just add your favorite toppings!
As a non-diet dietitian, I don’t focus on numbers. I don’t count calories or macronutrients. However, I love to include a source of protein at every meal to help with satiety and to get the nutrients that I need on a vegan diet.
My go-to protein sources at breakfast are nuts, seeds and nut/seed butter. This recipe can have all three.
The base recipe packs 14g of plant-based protein. You can bring it up to 20g with a tablespoon of nut or seed butter and a tablespoon of hemp hearts. Having a high-protein breakfast, along with high-fiber carbohydrates will help you feel full for longer, balance your blood sugars and help maintain your energy levels throughout the morning. Everyone has a different appetite in the morning, so adjust the toppings to your liking.
How to Make Vegan Overnight Oats:
The night before, whisk rolled oats, plant-based milk and chia seeds together in a jar or sealable container. Let it thicken overnight.
The next morning, stir the oats, add your favorite toppings and enjoy! All you need is 5 minutes.
Notes on the Recipe:
- Soy milk adds a good dose of protein to this recipe. If you’re looking for a high-protein breakfast, I don’t recommend using other plant-based milks, such as almond milk or oat milk, which are lower in protein. That being said, you can add more protein with toppings if preferred. Pea protein milk is another option if you enjoy it.
- To make this recipe satiating and higher in protein, add your favorite toppings. Nuts, seeds, nut/seed butters will add more protein.
- To sweeten this recipe, you can add your favorite sweetener or add a mashed banana. Berries or other fruits will also add a light sweetness.
- Nut or seed butter
- Chopped almonds, walnuts, cashews, pecans or other nuts of choice
- Fresh berries
- Diced fruit, such as apples, peaches or mangoes
- Sliced bananas
- Shredded coconut
- Sweetener of choice, such as maple syrup or brown sugar
- Chia seed jam or jam of choice
- Chocolate chips or cocoa powder to taste, to make chocolate oats
- Coconut yogurt or other plant-based yogurt of choice
More Overnight Oats Recipes:
- Peanut butter and jelly overnight oats
- Tropical coconut overnight oats
- Basic chia overnight oats
- Chocolate hazelnut overnight oats
- Cherry coconut overnight oats
And with that, I hope you’ll enjoy the recipe!
Easy Protein Overnight Oats (Vegan)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cup soy milk, plain and unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Nut or seed butter, for topping (optional)
- Chopped nuts of choice, for topping (optional)
- Hemp hearts, for topping (optional)
- Fruit of choice, for topping (optional)
- Sweetener to taste (see notes)
- Whisk together the oats, chia seeds and soy milk in a jar or sealable container. Let it thicken in the fridge overnight.
- The next morning, stir the oats and add more milk if you want thinner oatmeal.
- Add your toppings of choice and enjoy!
If you make these protein overnight oats, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!