Date-sweetened chai granola. A nut-free granola that’s perfectly sweetened with dates! A delicious and nutritious vegan breakfast.
I’m here to share this granola with you today after an unintentional two weeks away from the blog. Unintentional as in I didn’t expect (nor did I want) to be sick with a wicked cold over the past few weeks. I spent the past 2 weeks on the couch, watching Netflix. Going to work just to come home and crash on the bed for the night. Needless to say, recipe development and photography weren’t the first things on my mind.
Now I’m playing catch up with blog content. I worked in the kitchen all weekend and I’m now ready to start sharing some fall recipes, starting with this chai granola!
This granola is inspired by my favorite fruit-sweetened dessert creator – Natalie from Feasting on Fruit.
Her date-sweetened granola is my absolute favorite and I’ve been making it regularly since she posted the recipe several months back. So as I can’t get enough of the recipe, I decided to share it with you, adding my own little twist.
Here’s what I did. First, I added chai spices to the granola for a touch of fall flavor. Second, I decided to make it nut-free using sunflower seed butter, although any nut or seed butter will work. As always, use what you have on hand!
If you’re not in the mood for chai, just skip the extra spices and stick with the basic vanilla and cinnamon. You can also use different seeds if you’d like. I love sunflower seeds for a change sometimes (plus it’s cheaper than other seeds). Finally, you can also use nuts if allergies aren’t an issue – Pecans and chopped almonds would be great. As you can see, it’s a very adaptable recipe!
This granola is so good, I have to stop myself from eating a handful every time I pass by the kitchen. Trust me, you’ll want to add it to everything… Or just do like me and eat it by the handful.
Date-Sweetened Chai Granola
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup sunflower seed butter (or nut/seed butter of choice)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups seeds of choice (I use 1/2 cup each of flax, pumpkin seeds and hemp hearts)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon clove, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a food processor or high-speed blender, process the dates, sunflower seed butter, water and vanilla until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the remaining ingredients. Stir in the date mixture until evenly coated.
- Spread the granola evenly on both prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Stir the granola, moving the bits on the inside to the outside and vice versa. Return to the oven and bake another 20-25 minutes until dry and crispy, checking every 10 minutes and stirring so the edges don’t burn.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before storring in jars or airtight container. The granola will get crispier as it cools.
If you make this date-sweetened chai granola, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!