It’s finally summer in Canada and that means I can eat all the fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs from my parents’ garden again! YAY for free food! Since they had fresh basil, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to make my avocado pasta again. This is a recipe I’ve been doing every summer since I was 16 years old. It’s a delicious mix between pesto and a creamy Alfredo sauce.
What I did differently this time is I added protein. Not chicken like I used to do sometimes, but tofu! It’s blended right into the sauce and it packs over 14 grams of protein per serving without tasting like tofu! One serving also has 10 grams of fiber and some healthy fats from the avocado, all under 400 calories!
If you want even more protein, you can always add roasted chickpeas or even chicken if you’re not vegetarian. Imagine cheese in there too… So good!
You now have a healthy and comforting dinner option that’s ready in less than 15 minutes!
Creamy Tofu & Avocado Pasta (Oil-Free!)
- 1/2 package (375g) pasta of choice
For the Sauce
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup medium firm tofu
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- parmesan or other desired toppings (optional)
- Cook your pasta according to the instructions on the package.
- Add the avocado, tofu, garlic, basil, lemon juice and salt in a food processor. Process until smooth. Add the sauce to the drained cooked pasta. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add desired toppings.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge in an airtight container.
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag your photo #unsweetenedcaroline.