A creamy mushroom and dumpling soup. This comforting and nutritious soup is flavorful and topped with delicious whole wheat dumplings.
This soup is a cross between creamy mushroom soup and French onion soup, topped with dumplings (my favorite part). It’s nutritious, comforting and ready in less than an hour. I made it healthier by using whole milk (or plain unsweetened almond milk) instead of cream and by using whole wheat flour for the dumplings. That being said, you can definitely make it with cream and white flour too! All foods fit.
Mushroom and Dumpling Soup Ingredient Notes:
- Butter: You can use butter, vegan butter or margarine. This will add a delicious light buttery flavor to the soup and will help “caramelize” the onions.
- Onion and garlic: For flavor. Shallots would also be delicious in this soup.
- Mushrooms: I love to use cremini mushrooms, but you can also use white button mushrooms.
- Herbs: Bay leaves and fresh thyme add flavor to the soup. Make sure to remove them before blending the soup.
- Worcestershire sauce: Again, for flavor. You can also use vegan Worcestershire sauce if you can find it. It’s available at many health food stores (like Nature’s Fare here in Kelowna).
- Vegetable broth: I tested this recipe with a vegetable broth that has no salt added. If you use low-sodium or regular vegetable broth, reduce the salt as needed.
- Milk: You can use whole milk or almond milk (plain and unsweetened).
- Flour: I use all-purpose whole wheat flour to make the dumplings. You can also use white flour. See the FAQ section for a gluten-free option.
How to Make Creamy Mushroom and Dumpling Soup
Here’s a step-by-step guide to make homemade creamy mushroom and dumpling soup.
- “Caramelize” the Onions
In a large saucepan, heat the butter or margarine over medium heat. Add your diced onions and cook 8 minutes until soft and fragrant. The onions won’t be caramelized like they would be in a French onion soup, but they should be golden and fragrant. Meanwhile, prepare your mushrooms and garlic.
- Cook the Mushrooms
Add your sliced mushrooms and garlic and cook for 5-10 minutes until the water from your mushrooms has evaporated. Stir in your salt, bay leaves and thyme.
- Add the Liquids
Add the Worcestershire sauce and vegetable broth and bring the soup to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the Dumplings
In a medium bowl, mix your flour with salt and baking powder. Add your milk and mix the ingredients together to make a sticky dough. Set aside.
- Blend the Soup
Discard the bay leaves and thyme. Transfer the soup to a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth. Transfer back to the saucepan, then stir in your milk. Top with little spoonfuls of dumpling dough. Cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the dumplings are lightly cooked through.
Creamy Mushroom and Dumpling Soup FAQ:
Yes! To make this soup vegan, swap the milk for plain and unsweetened almond milk and use vegan Worcestershire sauce and vegan butter.
I haven’t tested a gluten-free option, but you should be able to replace the whole wheat flour with a 1:1 gluten-free flour mix for the dumplings. You can also skip the dumplings, though I don’t recommend it.
More Soup Recipes:
- Creamy Chickpea and Dumpling Soup
- Creamy Carrot Lentil Soup
- Quick Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Creamy Chickpea Noodle Soup (Vegan)
- Vegetarian French Onion Soup
- Simple Lentil Soup
- Creamy Vegan Cheesy Broccoli Soup
Creamy Mushroom and Dumpling Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 cups yellow onions, diced
- 3 cups (227g) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 5 1/2 cups vegetable broth, no added salt (see notes)
- 3/4 cup whole milk or plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup all-purpose whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup milk or plain unsweetened almond milk
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- In a large saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the diced onions and cook for 8 minutes until fragrant and lightly "caramelized". Meanwhile, prepare the mushrooms and garlic.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and garlic and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the water from the mushrooms has evaporated. Sprinkle with salt.
- Add the bay leaves and thyme.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and vegetable broth and bring the soup to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dumplings: In a medium bowl, mix the flour with salt and baking powder. Add the milk and mix the ingredients together to make a sticky dough. Set aside.
- Transfer the soup to a high-speed blender, making sure to discard the bay leaves and thyme. Blend until smooth (or you can leave some pieces whole). Transfer back to the saucepan, then stir in the milk. Top with little spoonfuls of dumpling dough. Cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the dumplings are lightly cooked through.
If you make this mushroom and dumpling soup, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!