A creamy mushroom and dumpling soup. This comforting soup is flavorful and topped with delicious whole wheat dumplings.
I know we’re all wishing for winter to be over by now, but the reality is that we’re still experiencing temperatures of -20ºC to -30ºC around here. The last thing my body craves right now is a salad and all I can think about is the comfort of soup and hot oatmeal. Blame the winter storm that’s coming today. I suppose spring recipes will have to wait another few weeks.
So this soup is the result of the cold temperatures we’re currently experiencing. Think of it as a cross between creamy mushroom soup and french onion soup, topped with dumplings (my favorite part). It’s filled with all the good stuff, yet prepared in under an hour. I made it healthier by using whole milk (or plain unsweetened almond milk) instead of cream and by using whole wheat flour for the dumplings.
How to Make Creamy Mushroom and Dumpling Soup
You simply start by lightly caramelizing your onions, then adding your garlic and mushrooms. When your vegetables are cooked, add your broth, thyme and bay leaves and simmer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, you can make your dumplings using whole wheat flour, milk, baking powder and salt. When the 15 minutes are done, all you need to do is blend the soup in a blender or food processor and return it to the saucepan. Add your milk and dough and cook for an additional 5 minutes until your dumplings are done. The perfect end of winter recipe!
This recipe can easily be made vegan by using unsweetened plain almond milk for both the soup and the dumplings.
I hope you’ll love it as much as I do!
Creamy Mushroom and Dumpling Soup
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 3 cups yellow onions, diced
- 3 cups mushrooms (227g), sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 5 1/2 cups vegetable broth, no added salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup all-purpose whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup milk or plain unsweetened almond milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- In a large saucepan, heat margarine over medium heat. Add your diced onions and cook 8 minutes until soft and fragrant. Meanwhile, prepare your mushrooms and garlic.
- Add your sliced mushrooms and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until the water from your mushrooms has evaporated.
- Stir in your salt, bay leaves and thyme.
- Pour your Worcestershire sauce and vegetable broth and bring the soup to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare your dumplings: In a medium bowl, mix your flour with salt and baking powder. Add your milk and mix the ingredients together to make a sticky dough. Set aside.
- Transfer the soup to a high-speed blender or food processor, making sure to discard the bay leaves and thyme. Blend until smooth. Transfer back to the saucepan, then stir in your milk. Top with little pieces of dumpling dough. Cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the dumplings are lightly cooked through.
If you make this mushroom and dumpling soup, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!