A simple creamy chickpea and rice soup that’s vegan and gluten-free. This quick and easy soup is done in under 30 minutes with basic ingredients.
A simple and comforting vegan soup. This recipe is my vegan version of the classic chicken and rice soup. I made it creamy with oat milk and replaced the chicken with chickpeas. Don’t worry, it’s full of flavor thanks to a generous amount of garlic and herbs. It’s the perfect cozy vegan recipe for busy weeks and cold winter days.
What You Need: Olive oil, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, white basmati rice, thyme, summer savory, bay leaf, vegetable broth, oat milk and chickpeas.
How to Make a Vegan Creamy Chickpea and Rice Soup
- Start by chopping your vegetables and have your ingredients ready before you start cooking. This will make the process quick and easy.
- Heat the oil in a large pot, then add the onions and garlic. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until fragrant, then add the carrots and celery. Cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in the rice, thyme, summer savory and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Finally, add the vegetable broth and oat milk. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat and let it simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes. Stir in the chickpeas and cook for another 5 minutes. Add more salt and pepper if desired. Enjoy!
- This recipe was tested with white basmati rice. If you use brown basmati rice, you will need to cook the soup longer. Follow the package’s instructions and let the soup simmer until the rice is completely cooked.
- If you can’t find summer savory, you could try making the soup with dried oregano. It will add a different flavor, but it works in a pinch.
- If you use regular vegetable broth or low-sodium vegetable broth, you will need less added salt. I recommend starting with 1/2 teaspoon and increasing the amount to taste.
- If you don’t have oat milk, you could try making this soup with canned light coconut milk or plain and unsweetened almond milk. Make sure to use plain and unsweetened plant-based milks.
- If you’re eating leftovers, feel free to thin the soup with a splash of broth. This soup is best eaten fresh, but it’s still delicious eaten as leftovers.
More Cozy Vegan Soup Recipes:
- Creamy Chickpea and Dumpling Soup
- Lentil Lasagna Soup (Vegan)
- Creamy Chickpea Noodle Soup (Vegan)
- Simple Lentil Soup
- Vegan Black Bean Enchilada Soup
- Creamy Vegan Cheesy Broccoli Soup
Creamy Chickpea and Rice Soup (Vegan)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium celery stalks, diced
- 1 cup white basmati rice, uncooked
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon summer savory
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups vegetable broth, no salt added (see notes)
- 1 cup oat milk, plain and unsweetened
- 1 can (19oz/540ml) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 – 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Start by preparing your ingredients.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 3-5 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the carrots and celery. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and let it toast for 1-2 minutes, then add the thyme, summer savory and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the vegetable broth and oat milk. Stir everything together, then bring the soup to a boil over high heat. Once it boils, reduce heat to low-medium and let it simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables have softened and the rice is cooked. Stir in the chickpeas and cook for another 5 minutes on low heat.
- Taste and add more salt if desired. Season with more pepper to taste. Enjoy!
If you make this creamy chickpea and rice soup, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!