Vegan chocolate peanut butter rice krispie squares made with 7 ingredients. All you need is peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, crispy rice cereal, chocolate, vanilla and salt.
This is not your typical rice krispie recipe. These bars are made vegan with a delicious combination of peanut butter and maple syrup. Top them with chocolate for a sweet and salty snack or dessert.
I used my peanut butter “caramel” recipe as the base. This sticky caramel-like mixture is then combined with rice krispies and topped with chocolate. It’s a delicious quick and easy recipe. All you need is 15 minutes of preparation and a bit of freezing time.
While you can enjoy this recipe from the fridge or at room temperature, they are crumbly this way. This is instead a freezer recipe. The bars can be enjoyed straight from the freezer with minimal crumbling.
How to Make Vegan Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Squares:
Start by combining the peanut butter, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, vanilla and salt in a large mixing bowl. Next, stir in the crispy rice cereal until combined. Transfer the mixture to a loaf pan. Top it with melted chocolate and a sprinkle of flaky salt.
Freeze the bars for at least 1 hour before cutting. Enjoy!
Tips to Make Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Squares
- Store the bars in the freezer in an airtight container. These bars crumble easily when stored in the fridge. This is why I recommend cutting them after they’ve been in the freezer for at least 1 hour. I find that they’re best enjoyed straight from the freezer.
- Make sure to press the bars very well in the pan to limit crumbling.
- Use your favorite crispy rice cereal. Use a vegan cereal to make these bars vegan. Choose certified gluten-free cereal if needed.
- I used a natural salted peanut butter. If you use natural unsalted peanut butter, add an extra pinch of salt to taste. Make sure to use creamy, runny peanut butter and not the dry peanut butter at the bottom of the jar.
- You should be able to replace the maple syrup with brown rice syrup, but I haven’t tried it myself.
More Vegan Snack Recipes:
- Easy No-Bake Oat Bars
- Nut-Free Strawberry Vanilla Crumble Bars
- Date-Sweetened Apple Crumble Bars
- No-Bake Walnut Granola Bars
- No-Bake Seedy Granola Bars
If you’re looking for a fruit-sweetened snack, check out my Nut-Free Caramel Rice Crispy Squares.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Squares
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, natural
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 2 3/4 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon coconut oil, divided
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate, dark or semi-sweet
- Flaky salt, for topping (optional)
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Add the peanut butter, maple syrup, 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil, vanilla and salt to a large mixing bowl. Stir until combined.
- Stir in the crispy rice cereal until combined. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and press very well to flatten.
- Melt the chocolate with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. I use the microwave, 30 seconds at a time until melted.
- Spread the melted chocolate evenly over the squares. Add a sprinkle of flaky salt if desired.
- Freeze the bars for at least 1 hour before cutting. Cut into 8-10 squares.
If you make these peanut butter rice krispie squares, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!