Chocolate Coconut Granola
An easy chocolate coconut granola recipe. This granola is made with 10 ingredients and 1 bowl in less than 15 minutes of preparation. It also happens to be vegan and gluten-free!
Breakfast that tastes like dessert. Who’s in?!
This granola is perfectly sweet and flavored with CHOCOLATE and COCONUT. Two of the best ingredients if you ask me.
Even better? This recipe is made using 10 ingredients, 1 bowl and less than 15 minutes. It’s the best.
How to Make Chocolate Coconut Granola
Start by adding all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. This includes oats, cashews, coconut, cocoa powder, hemp hearts and salt. Stir it all together, then add the wet ingredients, including the maple syrup, almond butter, coconut oil and vanilla extract.
Bake the recipe for 30-40 minutes, stirring it halfway through. Take it out of the oven and let it cool completely on the baking sheet. It will continue to get crispier as it cools.
Finally, stir in some chocolate chips and/or toasted coconut chips once the granola has cooled. This is optional, but recommended.
Serve it on top of vegan yogurt (you can try my homemade vegan yogurt), smoothie bowls or oatmeal. It’s also great with plant-based milk or eaten by the handful!
Notes on the Recipe
- To make this recipe nut-free, you can replace the cashews with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds or a mix. Use sunflower seed butter instead of almond butter.
- This recipe uses basic unsweetened cocoa powder, not raw cacao powder. If using cacao powder, taste the granola mixture before baking and add more as needed. It does have a milder taste and you may need to add more.
- For more chocolate and coconut flavors, try stirring some toasted coconut chips and vegan chocolate chips into the granola once it has cooled completely. Don’t add the chocolate chips to the warm granola as it will melt.
- Feel free to switch up the cashews for chopped almonds, pecans or walnuts. You can also use cashew butter or peanut butter instead of almond butter. The taste will be slightly different, but the texture will be the same.
Looking for more granola recipes? Check out my easy chocolate almond granola, basic maple peanut butter granola, date-sweetened chai granola or 5-minute granola power bowl. All of these other recipes are also oil-free if you’re into that. Don’t worry, they’re still delicious.
Watch how to make this recipe:
Chocolate Coconut Granola
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup cashews, raw or dry roasted (unsalted)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond butter, smooth
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vegan chocolate chips (optional)
- Toasted coconut chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Line a large baking sheet (or 2 medium baking sheets) with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the oats, cashews, shredded coconut, cocoa powder, hemp hearts and salt. Stir to combine.
- To the same bowl, add the maple syrup, almond butter, coconut oil and vanilla. Stir all the ingredients together until the mixture is well combined.
- Transfer the granola mixture to the prepared baking sheet(s) and spread it into a single layer. Bake for 30-40 minutes, tossing at the 20-minute mark. The more spread out your granola is, the less time it will take to crisp up.
- Once the granola is slightly crispy, remove it from the oven and let it cool on the baking sheet. It will continue to get crispier as it cools down. Once completely cooled, stir in some chocolate chips and/or toasted coconut chips if desired.
- Serve with yogurt or plant-based milk of choice, on top of smoothie bowls, oatmeal or eat it by the handful.
If you make this granola, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!