Cherry Chia Jam Crumble Bars
Cherry chia jam crumble bars. These bars are made with nutritious ingredients, including dates, oats, walnuts, cherries and chia seeds. Top them with your favorite ice cream for a delicious summer snack or dessert.
Sweet cherry chia jam paired with a hearty and nutritious crumble made with a base of walnuts and oats. These delicious bars are packed with fiber-rich ingredients. They’re perfect for a filling snack or dessert, served with a scoop of your favorite ice cream.
Cherry Chia Crumble Bars Ingredients:
- Cherries: We’re using fresh cherries to make a simple chia jam. You can also use frozen cherries if that’s what you have on hand.
- Chia Seeds: These little seeds are used to thicken the jam. They also add fiber and healthy fats to the recipe.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla is added to the jam and the crumble for a delicious flavor.
- Walnuts: Walnuts are processed with the oats to make the crumble mixture. They add a light nutty flavor, plus protein, fiber and healthy fats. I’m sharing a nut-free option in the FAQ section of this post.
- Oats: We’re using rolled oats for the crumble. You can use quick oats if that’s what you have, but rolled oats will add more texture to the bars.
- Medjool Dates: Dates are used to sweeten this recipe. They’re nutritious and packed with fiber.
- Maple Syrup: I added a touch of maple syrup for extra sweetness and to help the bars stick together. If you want to keep these bars fruit-sweetened, you can use water instead.
- Vegan Butter: This helps the bars hold together and adds a delicious moisture to the crumble. I use the vegan Becel, but you can use your go-to butter or margarin. You can use coconut oil if preferred.
- Salt: A touch of salt helps to balance the sweetness of the recipe and enhances the flavors.
How to Make Cherry Chia Jam Crumble Bars:
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make cherry chia jam crumble bars.
- Prepare the Cherry Chia Jam
Start by making the cherry chia jam. Add the cherries and water to a small saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a low boil. Mash the cherries, then add the chia seeds and vanilla. Simmer over low-medium heat, covered, for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool down while you prepare the crumble.
- Toast the Walnuts
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Toast the walnuts for 8-10 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant. Increase the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Prepare the Crumble
Add oats (2 cups), toasted walnuts, dates, melted vegan butter, maple (or water), salt and vanilla to a food processor. Process until the mixture sticks together when pressed. Add the remaining 1 cup of oats and pulse a few times to combine.
- Assemble the Crumble Bars
Press the crumble mixture at the bottom of a square baking dish (keeping 1 1/2 cup for topping). Spread the cherry chia jam evenly, then top with the remaining crumble mixture.
- Bake the Bars
Bake for 15 minutes at 350°F. Let them cool completely before cutting. They will be delicate when warm.
Cherry Chia Jam Crumble Bars FAQ:
Yes! You can make these bars with strawberries, raspberries, blueberries or a berry mix. I do have a specific recipe for strawberry crumble bars and blueberry crumble bars. And if you want to make apple crumble bars, I recommend following this recipe.
Yes! To make this recipe nut-free, swap the walnuts for toasted sunflower seeds. For a specific nut-free recipe, you can check out these strawberry vanilla crumble bars.
The butter is important to the recipe, but if you prefer to use another type of fat, you can use melted coconut oil.
More Fruit Crumble and Crisp Recipes:
If you’re looking for more fruit crumbles or fruit crisps, you can find more recipes below. These include fruit-sweetened recipes, as well as classic (vegan) recipes, made with a variety of fruits.
- Blueberry Walnut Crumble Bars
- Date-Sweetened Apple Crumble Bars
- Nut-Free Strawberry Vanilla Crumble Bars
- Vegan Peach Crisp
- Cinnamon Pear Crisp (Vegan)
- Vegan Apple Crisp
- The Best Fruit-Sweetened Apple Crisp
I highly recommend serving these crumble bars with a scoop of ice cream. This cashew coconut vanilla ice cream is a delicious date-sweetened option. If you want something a little sweeter, check out this cookie dough ice cream (skip the cookie dough for a simple vanilla ice cream).
Cherry Chia Jam Crumble Bars
Cherry Chia Jam
- 3 cups pitted cherries
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts, raw
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or water)
- Prepare the cherry chia jam: In a medium saucepan, bring the water and cherries to a boil over medium-high heat. Mash the cherries (you can leave a few pieces). Reduce heat to low-medium. Stir in the chia seeds and vanilla and let simmer, covered for 15-20 minutes or until the juices have been absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 9×9 inch glass dish with vegan butter. Set aside.
- Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet. Toast the walnuts for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden and fragrant. Remove from the oven and increase to 350°F.
- Add the toasted walnuts, dates, 2 cups of oats, melted vegan butter, maple (or water), vanilla and salt to a food processor and process until combined. The mixture should easily stick together when pressed. If it remains too crumbly, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time until it sticks together. Add the remaining 1 cup of oats and process for a few seconds.
- Press the crumble mixture at the bottom of the greased dish, leaving 1 1/2 cups for topping. Spread the cherry chia jam evenly, then top with the remaining crumble mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes, uncovered at 350°F. Let it cool completely before cutting. The bars will be delicate when warm. Serve the bars with your favorite ice cream.
If you make these cherry crumble bars, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!