3-ingredient strawberry banana ice cream. This vegan “ice cream” recipe is made with frozen bananas, strawberries and a splash of plant-based milk. Enjoy this frozen dessert on its own or top it with shredded coconut, fresh fruits, chocolate or nuts. This recipe is naturally gluten-free and dairy-free with a nut-free option.
Looking for a way to cool down this summer? This frozen dessert is quick and easy and requires only 3 ingredients!
We’re currently experiencing record-breaking high temperatures across British Columbia and frozen snacks and desserts are very welcome. Even better if it’s a simple recipe. This dairy-free fruit-based “ice cream” is a classic nutritious snack. All you need is frozen bananas, strawberries and your favorite plant-based milk. This recipes makes for a delicious and simple snack or dessert. It’s also great for breakfast when served with granola, nuts or other smoothie bowl toppings (yes, you could turn this recipe into a smoothie bowl!).
Can I Freeze Leftovers?
Yes! store leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer. It will harden, but it can be eaten as a sort of fruit sorbet. It’s still delicious, though nothing compares to the creamy texture of the freshly prepared “ice cream”.
Notes on the Recipe:
- You can substitute the strawberries with other frozen fruits. Frozen mangoes, blueberries, raspberries or pineapple are all great options.
- This recipe is very forgiving. You can add more strawberries and less bananas (or the opposite). Use this recipe as a guide and adjust it to your taste. You can also add a variety of toppings.
- Try topping the ice cream with shredded coconut, fresh fruit, granola, chocolate or chopped nuts. A drizzle of nut or seed butter could also be delicious.
- You can use any plant-based milk you love and have on hand. My favorite is full-fat canned coconut milk for a hint of coconut.
- If your food processor is weak, if will take longer to get a creamy consistency. Just continue going and stop to scrape the sides as needed. You can also add more liquid as needed.
If you’re looking for another fruit-based frozen snack, you can check out my cherry coconut sorbet.
More Vegan Ice Cream Recipes:
- Chickpea-nut butter ice cream
- Salted chocolate peanut butter ice cream
- Cashew coconut vanilla ice cream
- Chocolate peanut butter banana ice cream
- Oatmeal cookie dough banana ice cream
- Peanut butter strawberry swirl ice cream
3-Ingredient Strawberry Banana Ice Cream
- 2 large bananas, sliced and frozen
- 1 1/2 cup strawberries, frozen
- 2-3 tablespoons high-fat coconut milk, or plant-based milk of choice
- If you don't have frozen bananas, start by slicing 2 bananas and storing them in an airtight container in the freezer overnight or for at least 12 hours.
- Prepare the recipe: In a food processor, add the frozen bananas and strawberries. Process until the mixture is crumbly. Add the coconut milk, 1 tablespoon at a time and process until the mixture is creamy. Stop to scrape the sides as needed. It might take a few minutes to get a creamy ice cream consistency.
- Serve immediately by itself or with toppings of choice.
If you make this strawberry banana ice cream, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!