15-minute lentil tomato pasta. A quick, easy and nutritious weeknight dinner recipe made with 3 ingredients. All you need is pasta, canned lentils and your favorite store-bought pasta sauce. The lentils add fiber and protein, plus make the sauce hearty and filling.
A quick and easy recipe that’s perfect for busy weeknights. This is one of my go-to meals when I don’t feel like cooking and need something on the table in 15 minutes. This is less of a recipe and more of an idea. You can make it your own by using your favorite pasta and pasta sauce. Adjust the amount of sauce to your liking and serve it with your favorite toppings.
All you need for the base of this recipe is 3 ingredients and 15 minutes (or the time that it takes to cook your pasta). It can also be made into a one-pot meal!
Tomato Lentil Pasta Ingredients:
- Pasta: Use your favorite pasta. I love using whole wheat pasta or white pasta with added fiber, but regular white pasta is great as well. You could also use chickpea or lentil pasta for extra fiber and protein.
- Tomato Sauce: I always use big jars of pasta sauce from Costco. If you’re using smaller jars, make sure to use less pasta or use two jars. You can easily adjust the amount of sauce and pasta to make this recipe more or less saucy.
- Lentils: This recipe is made with canned lentils for a convenient option. If you want to use dried lentils, check out the FAQ section below.
Suggested Toppings and Add-Ins:
- For a cheesy topping: I love serving this pasta with nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan. You can use your favorite cheese or cheese alternative.
- For added vegetables: You can add spinach and cook it with the sauce. If you don’t mind the extra step, you can also cook some vegetables in a saucepan with a bit of oil, then stir them into the sauce. I love using mushrooms, but zucchini and bell peppers would work great too. Fresh herbs, like chopped basil or thyme are also delicious when added to the sauce.
How to Make a Quick Tomato Lentil Pasta Dish:
Here are the simple steps that you need to make this 15-minute tomato lentil pasta recipe.
- Cook the Pasta
Start by cooking the pasta according to the package’s instructions.
- Prepare the Other Ingredients
While the pasta is cooking, open a jar of your favorite pasta sauce and a can of lentils. Drain and rinse the lentils.
- Assemble the Ingredients
Once the pasta is done, drain and return to the pot. Add the pasta sauce and lentils. Stir together and place over medium heat until heated through. Serve with your toppings of choice.
Lentil Tomato Pasta FAQ:
I don’t recommend using dried lentils in this recipe. These would need to be cooked into the sauce, which wouldn’t have enough liquid. That being said, if it’s all you have and you don’t mind the extra work, you could cook the lentils in another pot with water, following the package’s instructions, then add them to the pasta sauce. Make sure to cook the lentils until soft. And keep in mind that split red lentils don’t hold their shape when cooked, unlike brown or green lentils. Use what you prefer.
Yes! You can easily make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free pasta.
More Easy Pasta Recipes:
- 15-Minute Pasta Salad with Almond Pesto
- 5-Ingredient Avocado Tofu Pasta
- Sesame Ramen Noodles with Crispy Tofu
- Vegan Avocado Pesto Pasta
- Creamy Hummus Pasta with Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 15-Minute Peanut Ramen Noodles
15-Minute Lentil Tomato Pasta
- 1 pack (375g) pasta of choice
- 1 jar (880ml/30oz) store-bought tomato pasta sauce of choice (see notes)
- 1 can (540ml/19oz) lentils, drained and rinsed
- Pepper, to taste (optional)
- Start by cooking the pasta according to the package's instructions.
- Meanwhile, open the jar of pasta sauce and can of lentils. Drain and rinse the lentils.
- When the pasta is done cooking, drain and return to the pot. Stir in the sauce and lentils. Place the pot over medium heat and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Alternatively, you can heat the pasta and lentils together in another small pot while the pasta is cooking, then add it to the cooked pasta. This will save you 5 minutes, but will take an extra pot.
- Serve with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
If you make this lentil tomato pasta, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
This post contains affiliate links. I only share products that I trust and recommend. Choosing to use these links helps to support me and this blog. Thank you!