Warm Roasted Carrot, Lentil & Quinoa Salad
A warm roasted carrot, lentil and quinoa salad with arugula and a simple maple Dijon vinaigrette. This delicious hearty salad is naturally vegan, gluten-free and nut-free.
This is the ultimate filling and nutritious salad to transition between seasons. It’s warm and hearty, making it perfect for winter, yet packed with fresh vegetables and a zesty vinaigrette. You can serve it as a side salad or as a filling main dish thanks to it’s nourishing combination of protein, carbs, fats and vegetables.
I love to serve this salad with roasted carrots, but it’s also delicious with roasted cauliflower or broccoli (or a combination or all three).
This recipe is lightly inspired by my Lentil Quinoa Salad with Nutritional Yeast Dressing. Just like that recipe, this salad is great for meal prep! Simply prepare the roasted carrots, quinoa and vinaigrette. Combine the cooked quinoa, vinaigrette and lentils. Let it cool and store the salad in the fridge for up to 4 days. When ready to eat, serve it with the arugula and toppings of choice!
What you need: Quinoa, canned lentils, carrots, arugula, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt and toppings of choice.
How to Make a Warm Roasted Carrot, Lentil & Quinoa Salad:
Start by roasting the carrots or other vegetables of choice. While the vegetables are cooking, you can cook the quinoa and prepare the vinaigrette. Simply combine the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, maple, Dijon, garlic and salt in a jar. Add the canned lentils and vinaigrette to the cooked quinoa and stir it all together.
Serve the quinoa and lentil mixture with fresh arugula (or other leafy greens of choice), the roasted vegetables and other toppings of choice.
More Quinoa Salad Recipes:
- Lentil Quinoa Salad with Nutritional Yeast Dressing
- Sweet Potato Kale & Black Bean Quinoa Salad
- Summer Quinoa Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette
- Quick Lunchbox Southwestern Quinoa Salad
Warm Roasted Carrot, Lentil & Quinoa Soup
- 6 carrots, peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Fine grain sea salt, to taste
- 1 cup quinoa, dry
- 1 can (540ml/19oz) lentils, drained and rinsed
- 4 handfuls arugula (about 4 cups), for serving
- toasted sunflower seeds, for serving (optional)
- Nutritional yeast, for serving (optional)
- Avocado, for serving (optional)
Maple Dijon Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the chopped carrots on a large baking sheet. Toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 30 minutes or until lightly golden.
- While the carrots are roasting, cook the quinoa: Add 1 cup of dry quinoa and 2 cups of water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to low heat and simmer for 15 minutes, covered until the water has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vinaigrette: In a small jar, combine all the vinaigrette ingredients. Stir to combine. You can also add the vinaigrette ingredients to a small blender and blend until combined.
- Drain and rinse the canned lentils. Add the lentils to the saucepan with the cooked quinoa. Top with the vinaigrette and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Serve the warm lentil quinoa mixture with fresh arugula (about one handful per serving), the roasted carrots, nutritional yeast, sunflower seeds and avocado if desired. Serve warm.
If you make this warm roasted carrot, lentil & quinoa salad, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!