Vegan Pumpkin Bread with Streusel Topping
An easy vegan pumpkin bread with streusel topping. This soft and fluffy pumpkin loaf is made with simple ingredients in less than 15 minutes of preparation. It’s perfect for a sweet fall dessert or snack.
A delicious one-bowl vegan pumpkin bread recipe, topped with a streusel topping and optional icing. The ultimate fall dessert.
I shared a fruit-sweetened and gluten-free pumpkin bread on my first year of blogging and it has been one of the top recipes on the blog since. That recipe is hearty, nutritious and packed with fiber, but it’s not a classic fluffy pumpkin bread. My goal for this recipe was to create a vegan loaf that’s closer to the sweet pumpkin bread you’re likely used to. It’s a little lower in sugar compared to other recipes, but it’s still perfectly sweet, moist and packed with fall spices.
Vegan Pumpkin Bread Ingredient Notes:
- Pumpkin puree: Make sure not to use pumpkin pie filling. You can find a note on using homemade pumpkin puree in the FAQ section.
- Oat milk: You can also use other plant-based milks if preferred. Use plain and unsweetened milk for the best results.
- Olive oil: You can also use a neutral-tasting oil, such as avocado oil.
- Vanilla extract: A generous amount for flavor.
- Sugar: This recipe uses a combination of white and brown sugar.
- Baking soda and baking powder: To help the bread rise.
- Spices: You’ll need a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger and clove
- Salt: To balance the sweetness of the recipe.
- Flour: I only tested this recipe with all-purpose white flour. I can’t guarantee good results with other flours. If you try another, let me know how it turns out in the comments!
How to Make Vegan Pumpkin Bread:
Here are the steps that you need to make a simple pumpkin bread at home.
- Combine the Ingredients
Start by adding the pumpkin puree, oat milk, olive oil and vanilla to a large mixing bowl. Whisk until combined. Add the brown sugar, white sugar, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt and stir until combined. Finally, add the flour and stir until just combined (avoid overmixing). Transfer the mixture to a loaf pan.
- Make the Streusel
Prepare the streusel: In a small bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon together. Add the cold vegan butter and vanilla, then using a fork, cut the butter into the dry mixture until you get a slightly wet, small crumble. Sprinkle the streusel on top of the unbaked loaf.
Bake the loaf for 55 minutes at 350°F or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool at least 15 minutes before slicing.
Pumpkin Bread FAQ:
I haven’t tested a gluten-free option for this recipe. You can try using a 1:1 gluten-free flour mix, but the texture might be affected. For a tested gluten-free pumpkin bread, you can try this recipe. That option is fruit-sweetened and has a vegan option, though it is much heartier than this recipe.
This recipe was tested with canned pumpkin puree only. I can’t guarantee the same results with homemade pumpkin puree. If you want to try it, let me know how it turns out in the comments!
More Pumpkin Recipes:
- Pumpkin Bread (Gluten-Free, No Added Sugar)
- Easy Pumpkin Mug Cake (Vegan)
- Easy Vegan Pumpkin Muffins
- Oatmeal Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (Vegan + Gluten-Free)
- Date-Sweetened Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Date-Sweetened Pumpkin Spice Latte
Watch How to Make the Recipe:
Vegan Pumpkin Bread with Streusel Topping
- 1 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/4 cup oat milk
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose white flour
Streusel Topping (Optional)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a loaf pan. Set aside.
- Add the pumpkin puree, oat milk, olive oil and vanilla to a large mixing bowl. Whisk until combined. Add the brown sugar, white sugar, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt and stir until combined. Finally, add the flour and stir until just combined (avoid overmixing).
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf pan.
- Prepare the streusel (if using): In a small bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon together. Add the cold vegan butter and vanilla, then using a fork, cut the butter into the dry mixture until you get a slightly wet, small crumble.
- Sprinkle the streusel on top of the unbaked loaf.
- Bake the loaf for 55 minutes at 350°F or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool at least 15 minutes before slicing.
If you make this vegan pumpkin bread, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!