The BEST vegan matcha mint chocolate chip ice cream. This simple vegan ice cream is made with a base of coconut milk and cashews. It’s perfectly sweet with a refreshing touch of peppermint and a hint of matcha.
If you love mint and chocolate together, you need to try this recipe. This vegan version of mint chocolate ice cream is my new favorite ice cream recipe. It’s sweet, refreshing and packed with chocolate chips. What could be better?
You do need an ice cream maker for this recipe. I haven’t tried a no-churn version, but if you want to try it, let me know how it turns out! Just keep in mind that it won’t be as creamy and will have a more “icy” texture.
How to Make Vegan Matcha Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Start by freezing the bowl of your ice cream maker overnight or for at least 8 hours. When the bowl is frozen, prepare the ice cream. Start by soaking the cashews in boiling water for 5 minutes or up to 3 hours.
Add the soaked cashews, coconut milk, sugar, peppermint extract and matcha to a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth, about 30-60 seconds.
Pour the blended mixture into the ice cream maker. Churn for 25 minutes or until you get a soft serve ice cream, then stir in the chocolate chips. You can eat this ice cream as a soft serve or place it in the freezer for at least 3-4 hours. It’s delicious both ways!
Tips to Make the Best Vegan Ice Cream
- Make sure that the bowl from the ice cream maker is well frozen, at least for 8 hours or overnight. Plus, if the ice cream mixture gets warm after blending, let it cool in the fridge for 15-30 minutes. This will help the ice cream freeze as best as possible.
- I highly recommend using full-fat coconut milk to get the creamiest ice cream. Light coconut milk works, but it won’t be as creamy. If you strongly dislike coconut, you can try this recipe with another plain and unsweetened plant-based milk, such as oat milk.
- The matcha is optional. I add it for color and for a very light hint of flavor. If you’re using the matcha for color, make sure to use ceremonial matcha as culinary matcha will not add the same beautiful green color.
- Start with a small amount of peppermint extract, as is recommended in the recipe. If you want a stronger flavor, you can then add more after tasting the mixture.
- You can use mini chocolate chips or you can chop a chocolate bar. I also made it with larger chocolate chips that I chopped into smaller pieces. Use what you have on hand. You can also skip the chocolate for a plain mint matcha ice cream.
More Vegan Ice Cream Recipes
- Vegan Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Vegan Pistachio Ice Cream
- Chickpea-Nut Butter Ice Cream
- Salted Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- Cashew Coconut Vanilla Ice Cream
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches
And if you love the combination of matcha and mint, I highly recommend trying this Mint Matcha Latte during the colder seasons.
Watch How to Make the Recipe:
Vegan Matcha Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 1 cup cashews, raw
- 1 can (14oz/400ml) full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract, or more to taste
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon matcha (see notes)
- 1/4 cup mini vegan chocolate chips, dark or semi-sweet
- Start by freezing the bowl of your ice cream maker overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- When the bowl is frozen, prepare the ice cream. Start by soaking the cashews in boiling water for 5 minutes or up to 3 hours. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Add the soaked cashews, coconut milk, sugar, peppermint extract and matcha to a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth, about 30-60 seconds. Taste the mixture and add more peppermint extract or matcha if desired. If the mixture got warm while blending, let it cool in the fridge for 15-30 minutes.
- Place the frozen bowl in the ice cream maker. Turn it on and pour the blended mixture into the ice cream maker. Churn for 25 minutes or until the ice cream is of soft serve consistency.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Eat as a soft serve or transfer to a sealable container and freeze until firm, about 3-4 hours.
If you make this matcha mint chocolate chip ice cream, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!