A quick and easy vegan chocolate mug cake, made in the microwave in less than 5 minutes. It’s a perfect single-serve cake for chocolate lovers. Serve it with ice cream to take it to the next level.
First, we had a vanilla funfetti mug cake, now we have a chocolate mug cake. Chocolate lovers, this recipe is for you!
This recipe is made in 5 minutes with ingredients you likely already have at home. Simply whisk all the ingredients together in a mug, microwave for one minute and you have a delicious fluffy and rich chocolate cake. It’s not meant to be healthy or nutritious and that’s okay. This is a reminder that we don’t need to healthify everything we eat. We all need delicious cake options, whether we’re vegan or not!
Serve this mug cake with your favorite vegan ice cream and enjoy! You can also share it with a loved one if you want a smaller serving. Either way, I hope you’ll love it!
Chocolate Mug Cake Ingredient Notes:
- Vegan butter: Melted vegan butter makes this mug cake extra moist. If preferred, you can substitute the vegan butter with any light-tasting oil, such as avocado oil.
- Oat milk: This recipe was tested using plain, unsweetened oat milk. You can use any plant-based milk, preferably a plain, unsweetened milk.
- Vanilla extract: Just a touch of vanilla for flavor.
- Sugar: You can use your favorite granulated sugar. I tested this recipe with turbinado cane sugar and regular white sugar.
- Flour: This recipe uses all-purpose white flour. I also tried it with this 1:1 gluten-free flour mix for a gluten-free option and it worked well. If you try any other flours, let me know how it turns out in the comments!
- Cocoa powder: Feel free to adjust the amount of cocoa powder in this recipe. It’s quite rich already, but if you love a dark chocolate cake, feel free to add more. You can also skip the chocolate chips, but they do add a delicious flavor and texture to the cake.
- Baking powder and salt: Baking powder to help the cake rise and salt to help balance the sweetness and enhance the flavors.
- Chocolate chips: For more chocolate flavor.
How to Make a Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake:
Here are the steps that you need to make a simple chocolate mug cake at home.
- Combine the Wet Ingredients
Add the vegan butter to a mug and melt it in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Skip this step if using oil. Stir in the oat milk, vanilla extract and sugar.
- Add the Dry Ingredients
Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Stir using a spoon or small whisk until combined. Make sure not to overmix, but mix until smooth. stir in the chocolate chips if using.
Microwave for 60-90 seconds. The timing will depend on your microwave. Keep an eye on the cake and if it overflows, heat it in small intervals.
Serve with a scoop of your favorite vegan ice cream if desired.
Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake FAQ:
Yes! You can make this recipe gluten-free by using a 1:1 gluten-free flour mix like this one.
I only tested this recipe with white all-purpose flour and a 1:1 gluten-free flour mix as mentioned above. I can’t guarantee good results with other flours that I haven’t tried. If you try using a different flour, let me know how it turns out in the comments!
You can substitute the vegan butter with a light-tasting oil such as avocado oil. The results are very similar, though I love the extra flavor from the vegan butter.
This recipe was only tested using the microwave, so I can’t recommend a baked option.
More Mug Dessert Recipes:
Watch How to Make the Recipe:
Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, or light-tasting oil
- 4 tablespoons oat milk, plain and unsweetened (or plant-based milk of choice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Vegan ice cream, for serving (optional)
- Add the vegan butter to a mug and melt it in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Skip this step if using oil.
- Stir in the oat milk, vanilla extract and sugar.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Stir using a spoon or small whisk until combined. Make sure not to overmix, but mix until smooth. stir in the chocolate chips if using.
- Microwave for 60-90 seconds. The timing will depend on your microwave. Keep an eye on the cake and if it overflows (this shouldn't be an issue), heat it in small intervals.
- Serve with a scoop of your favorite vegan ice cream if desired.
If you make this vegan chocolate mug cake, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
This post contains affiliate links. I only share products that I trust and recommend. Choosing to use these links helps to support me and this blog. Thank you!