A quick and easy vegan chocolate mug cake, made in the microwave in less than 5 minutes. It’s a perfect single-serve cake for chocolate lovers. Serve it with ice cream to take it to the next level.
First, we had a vanilla funfetti mug cake, now we have a chocolate mug cake. Chocolate lovers, this recipe is for you!
This recipe is made in 5 minutes with ingredients you likely already have at home. Simply whisk all the ingredients together in a mug, microwave for one minute and you have a delicious fluffy and rich chocolate cake. It’s not meant to be healthy or nutritious and that’s okay. This is a reminder that we don’t need to healthify everything we eat. We all need delicious cake options, whether we’re vegan or not!
Serve this mug cake with your favorite vegan ice cream and enjoy! You can also share it with a loved one if you want a smaller serving. Either way, I hope you’ll love it!
How to Make a Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake:
Start by adding vegan butter to a mug. Microwave the vegan butter until melted, about 20-30 seconds. Whisk in your oat milk, vanilla and sugar. Next, add your dry ingredients to the same mug. You’ll need all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Whisk together until combined and no clumps remain. Stir in your chocolate chips.
Microwave the batter for 60-90 seconds or until you get a light and fluffy cake. Top it with a scoop of your favorite vegan ice cream or vegan whipped cream if desired. Enjoy!
Notes on Substitutions:
- If preferred, you can substitute the vegan butter with any light-tasting oil, such as avocado oil.
- This recipe was tested using plain, unsweetened oat milk. You can use any plant-based milk, preferably a plain, unsweetened milk.
- This recipe uses all-purpose white flour. I haven’t tried making it with other flours yet, however, one reader tried my funfetti mug cake (which is similar) with Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free flour mix and said it worked well. You can give it a try in this recipe if you’d like, but I haven’t tried it myself. If you try any other flours, let me know how it turns out in the comments!
- Feel free to adjust the amount of cocoa powder in this recipe. It’s quite rich already, but if you love a dark chocolate cake, feel free to add more. You can also skip the chocolate chips, but they do add a delicious flavor and texture to the cake.
Looking for a vanilla mug cake? Try my Vegan Funfetti Birthday Mug Cake. You can skip the sprinkles to make it a basic vanilla mug cake!
Watch How to Make the Recipe:
Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, or light-tasting oil
- 4 tablespoons oat milk, plain and unsweetened (or plant-based milk of choice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Vegan ice cream, for serving (optional)
- Add the vegan butter to a mug and melt it in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Skip this step if using oil.
- Stir in the oat milk, vanilla extract and sugar.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Stir using a spoon or small whisk until combined. Make sure not to overmix, but mix until smooth. stir in the chocolate chips if using.
- Microwave for 60-90 seconds. The timing will depend on your microwave. Keep an eye on the cake and if it overflows (this shouldn't be an issue), heat it in small intervals.
- Serve with a scoop of your favorite vegan ice cream if desired.
If you make this vegan chocolate mug cake, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!