If there’s one salad I could eat for the rest of my life, it would be this vegan Caesar salad with chickpea croutons.
I’m a bit paranoid when it comes to eating raw eggs, which is just one reason why I prefer vegan Caesar salad over the original. That’s my opinion of course, but really, you’re not missing out on anything with this salad.
The dressing is salty and full of flavor. The salad is topped with crispy roasted chickpeas and a delicious vegan parmesan. It’s the most flavorful (and garlicky) salad and I LOVE it.
This vegan Caesar salad is inspired by Oh She Glow’s recipe, which is made with a cashew-based dressing. I made her recipe countless times over the past 4 years and with time, I developed my own version. While I absolutely love her recipe (and always will), I wanted a Caesar salad that didn’t necessitate a blender or pre-soaking cashews.
This is what I came up with. A tahini dressing that’s whisked together in 5 minutes and that’s packed with flavor. You can also use cashew butter in this recipe. Almond butter may be another option, but I can’t say for sure!
You can serve this salad as an appetizer or side dish, or you can do like me and serve it as a main dish. I always love a salad that’s the size of my head. This may be the only meal I’ll truly enjoy and feel satisfied with that doesn’t contain carbs (or at least not many carbs). That says a lot.
Honestly though, this salad is perfect for serving a crowd. I love making it for potlucks or family dinners!
I’ll be forever grateful for Angela’s life-changing salad recipe and I hope you’ll enjoy my tahini-version as well.
If you want to try her cashew-based recipe, you can find it here!
Vegan Caesar Salad with Chickpea Croutons
- 6 cups leafy greens of choice (Romaine, kale or mixed greens)
- 1 (19oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (about 1 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- Vegan parmesan, for topping
Tahini Caesar Dressing
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon water, more as needed
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place the chickpeas on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Roast for 30 minutes or until lightly golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salad dressing. Whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Add water as needed to thin.
- Assemble the salad: Toss 6 cups of leafy greens with the prepared dressing until coated. Top with roasted chickpeas and vegan parmesan.