Kale tempeh salad with Tahini Dressing.
I can’t believe this is my first time sharing a tempeh recipe.
Before moving to BC, 5 months ago, I had only ever had tempeh once, at a potluck with dietitian friends. For some reason, I never bothered cooking with it at home.
Then we travelled across Canada and tried many new vegetarian restaurants. After trying tempeh in different dishes, I knew I needed to start cooking with it at home. My favorite way to eat it so far? In a salad with tahini dressing. It’s so good, it’s making me crave salads every day.
This salad is ready in less than 30 minutes, which makes it perfect for last-minute weeknight meals.
Here’s how it’s made:
Start by chopping the kale (small bite sizes makes it much easier to eat!). Then massage it with oil. I know it sounds a bit strange to massage kale, but this helps tenderize the leaves, which are otherwise tough to eat. You can then let the kale marinate while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. Again, this helps make the kale easier to chew.
Next, prepare the tempeh. Simply heat oil in a non-stick pan, cook the tempeh a few minutes and then add the soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. The tempeh will then absorb the liquid and they’ll be perfectly cooked and flavorful. It takes less than 10 minutes to cook!
While the tempeh is cooking, you can prepare the simple tahini dressing, and then assemble the salad. Add the tempeh and the tahini dressing to the prepared kale. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast and hemp hearts. Eat!
I hope this doesn’t sound too complicated, because it’s really not! I’ve been eating this salad several times a week and there’s no stopping me. I hope you’ll love it too.
Tempeh Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing
- 4 cups kale, stem removed, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- Nutritional yeast, for topping (optional)
- Hemp hearts, for topping (optional)
- 1 bloc tempeh, cubed
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water (or more as needed)
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- Chop kale into small bite size pieces. Massage with 1/2 tablespoon oil using your hands, until evenly coated (about 1 minute). This helps tenderize the kale. Set aside.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the tempeh and sautée for 2 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Add the soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and paprika (if using). Toss the tempeh until evenly coated and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side
- While the tempeh is cooking, prepare the dressing. In a small bowl or mason jar, whisk together the tahini and vinegar. It should form a thick paste. Whisk in the garlic and water, adding more water as needed to thin.
- Assemble the salad: Top the massaged kale with the tahini dressing and tempeh. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast and hemp hearts if desired.
If you try this recipe, make sure to tag your photo #unsweetenedcaroline on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Don’t forget to also tag me @unsweetened.caroline on Instagram so I can see your creations!