Tempeh Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing
Tempeh kale salad with Tahini Dressing. This vegan salad is done in less than 30 minutes with 8 ingredients, plus optional toppings. It’s quick and easy, making it perfect for a weeknight dinner or simple lunch.
Massaged kale served with balsamic sautéed tempeh, a tangy and garlicky tahini dressing and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast, hemp hearts and toasted sunflower seeds. This quick and easy salad is ready in less than 30 minutes, which makes it perfect for a last-minute weeknight meal. It can also be enjoyed as a side dish or a light lunch.
This recipe was originally shared in 2018 and has been updated with new photos and extra details. I hope you’ll like it as much as I do!
What you need: Kale, tempeh, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, tahini, white wine vinegar and garlic.
How to Make a Tempeh Kale Salad:
Start by chopping the kale (small bite-sized pieces makes it much easier to eat!). Then massage it with oil. This helps tenderize the kale, which is otherwise tough to eat.
Next, prepare the tempeh. Simply heat oil in a non-stick pan, cook the tempeh a few minutes and then add the soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. The tempeh will then absorb the liquid and they’ll be perfectly cooked and flavorful. It takes less than 10 minutes to cook.
While the tempeh is cooking, you can prepare the simple tahini dressing, and then assemble the salad. Add the tempeh and the tahini dressing to the prepared kale. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast, hemp hearts and toasted sunflower seeds. Eat!
Notes on the Recipe:
- As this is a quick weeknight recipe, I don’t usually marinate the tempeh. That being said, if you have the time, you can marinate the tempeh 2 hours before cooking or the night before. You will need to use more soy sauce and balsamic vinegar to coat the tempeh completely.
- Make sure to massage the kale. I like to do this with a touch of oil before adding the tahini dressing as it’s less messy. This will help soften the tough kale and make it easier to eat.
More Tempeh Recipes:
Tempeh Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing
- 4 cups kale, stems removed, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- Nutritional yeast, for topping (optional)
- Hemp hearts, for topping (optional)
- Toasted sunflower seeds, for topping (optional)
- 1 bloc tempeh, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons water, as needed
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- pinch of salt, to taste
- Chop the kale into small bite-sized pieces. Massage with 1/2 tablespoon of oil using your hands for a few minutes to help tenderize the kale. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the tempeh and sauté for 2 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Add the soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and paprika (if using). Toss the tempeh until evenly coated and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side
- While the tempeh is cooking, prepare the dressing. In a small bowl or mason jar, whisk together the tahini and vinegar. It should form a thick paste. Whisk in the garlic, salt and water, adding more water as needed to thin.
- Assemble the salad: Toss the massaged kale with the tahini dressing. Serve with tempeh and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast, hemp hearts and sunflower seeds if desired.
If you make this tempeh kale salad, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
This was really good! Thanks for the recipe. I’ve had tempeh a few times before but been a little disappointed. I loved this preparation, and flavor combination. I had a lone carrot I needed to use up, so I peeled it into ribbons and added it in to the salad. It was delicious. Thank you!
Nourished by Caroline
Thank you Saralyn, I’m so happy that you enjoyed the recipe! I love the idea of adding carrots in the salad too!