A vegan sun-dried tomato pesto pizza. This plant-based pizza is packed with flavor. You can make the pizza dough from scratch using this quick recipe or use a store-bought dough for an easy weeknight dinner.
A quick and easy plant-based pizza that’s packed with flavor. This recipe is made in just about 30 minutes from scratch (including the dough!). I suggest topping the pizza with a flavorful sun-dried tomato pesto, sauteed onions, arugula and vegan cheese. Sliced vegan sausages are also highly recommended.
I originally created this sun-dried tomato pesto for a recipe I made for Gusta Foods. I’m using it here for a delicious pizza sauce. It’s also delicious served with pasta!
Notes on the Recipe:
- I included suggested toppings for this recipe, but feel free to add your favorite pizza toppings! The sun-dried tomato pesto is a must of course.
- You can use store-bought pizza dough for a quicker option, although this homemade pizza dough is as easy as it gets.
- You can try making this pizza dough with whole wheat flour, but it will be more dense. I would recommend using white flour for the best results or mix white and whole wheat 50:50. You can also use bread flour for this recipe.
- I haven’t tried making this recipe gluten-free. However, you can use your favorite gluten-free pizza crust. I love this one from Bob’s Red Mill.
- This pizza dough recipe is strongly inspired by this recipe.
- Fresh arugula (serve it fresh on top)
- Sauteed onions
- Vegan cheese (I use this one from Daiya)
- Sliced vegan sausages (I love the ones from Gusta Foods).
More Pizza Recipes:
- Burst Tomato Pizza with Kale Almond Pesto (use vegan cheese for a vegan option)
- Mushroom & Caramelized Onion Pizza with Sage Pesto
- Whole Wheat Broccoli Cheddar Pizza (use vegan cheese for a vegan option)
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Pizza (Vegan)
Quick Pizza Dough
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose white flour, spoon and leveled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- 1/2 cup walnuts, raw
- 1 jar (210ml) sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup vegan cheese of choice, more or less to taste
- Fresh arugula
- Vegan sausage
- Cherry tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Make the Pizza Dough
- In a medium bowl, place the yeast, sugar and warm water. Let stand for 10 minutes or until the yeast foams.
- Add the flour, salt and oil. Stir until combined. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Spread the dough on a round pan, lined with parchment paper if needed or on a pizza stone. Sprinkle with flour as needed if the dough is sticky. Avoid adding too much or the dough will be dry.
Make the Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- Place the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast them at 350°F for 8 minutes or until fragrant. Once done, increase the oven to 450°F.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining pesto ingredients to a food processor. Add the toasted walnuts and process until mostly smooth.
Prepare the Pizza
- Spread the sun-dried tomato pesto on the prepared dough. There should be leftover pesto (use it on another pizza or served with pasta).
- Add your other pizza toppings of choice. I love to sauté onions in a non-stick pan with oil for 5 minutes or until golden and fragrant, then serve it on the pizza with arugula, vegan sausages and vegan mozzarella.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the dough is golden brown and the cheese has melted. Enjoy!
If you make this vegan sun-dried tomato pesto pizza, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!