Salted Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
Salted chocolate peanut butter ice cream. A rich and creamy vegan ice cream that’s made with coconut milk, cocoa powder, dates, salted peanut butter and vanilla. Only 5 ingredients and minimal work involved.
One last ice cream recipe before the end of summer. I think we could all use that, right?
Part of me is trying to hold on the summer, while the other part of me is very excited for all things fall. I don’t think I’m alone when I say that I haven’t taken advantage of summer as much as I probably should have this year. We had so many things to do before leaving for 4 months (you can see our plans here), which meant I haven’t spent much time outside, enjoying everything that summer has to offer.
I’m not complaining though, we had a lot of great adventures over the past year and a lot more to come over the next months. We all have to work sometimes, right?
So here we are, the end of August and I’m here to share one last summer treat with you. Believe me, it’s a good one. I know I already have many chocolate peanut butter recipes, but I can’t help it. It’s my all-time favorite combo (clearly).
A few notes on the recipe:
- First, this ice cream is made in an ice cream maker. I recently got myself one and I’ve been really taking advantage of it this summer. If you don’t have an ice cream maker (I get that, it does take up space), I’m sorry, I don’t have a no-churn version yet! If you’re looking for no-churn ice cream, I am sharing a few recipes below.
- Next, this recipe uses full-fat coconut milk. I don’t have any substitutions for you at this point. The full-fat coconut milk is very important for the texture of the ice cream. My guess is that almond milk, oat milk or cashew milk would work, but I would add more nut butter to help the texture. Just keep in mind that it won’t be as creamy!
- Finally, I used salted peanut butter, but you can use regular peanut butter and add a pinch of salt. If you have an allergy to peanuts, you can always use almond butter or even sunflower seed butter!
More Ice Cream Recipes to Try:
- Vegan Pistachio Ice Cream
- Vegan Matcha Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Cashew Coconut Vanilla Ice Cream
- Chickpea-Nut Butter Ice Cream (no-churn)
- Vegan Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- 3-Ingredient Strawberry Banana Ice Cream (no-churn)
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream (no-churn)
And with that, I’ll leave you to the recipe. I hope you’ll make the most of the last few weeks of summer, including making a few more batches of ice cream.
Salted chocolate peanut butter ice cream
- 1 can (14oz) high-fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup peanut butter, salted (see notes)
- 5-6 large Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the bowl of the ice cream maker in the freezer and let it freeze overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- When the ice cream bowl is frozen, you can make the ice cream: In a high-speed blender, blend all the ice cream ingredients until creamy. It's okay if you have small pieces of dates left.
- Place the frozen bowl inside the ice cream maker and turn it on according to manufacturer's instructions. Pour the ice cream mixture into the ice cream maker and let it churn for 20-25 minutes or until the ice cream has reached a soft serve consistency.
- Eat as a soft serve immediately or transfer to a sealable container and let harden in the freezer for at least 3-4 hours before serving.
If you make this salted chocolate peanut butter ice cream, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Just ate some and it was fantastic ❤?
I’m happy you like it! 😉
delicious! my husband cant stop raving about this! he keeps on saying this is the best ice cream ever 🙂
Aww that’s so sweet!! I’m so happy you both like it! 🙂
We LOVE this ice cream!! Our whole family is completely addicted.
Nourished by Caroline
Thank you for the kind review Michele! I’m so happy that your family loves the recipe. 🙂
This is amazing! I just got an ice cream maker & made my first batch using this recipe. I used sunflower seed butter & it turned out phenomenal! I plan on making it a million more times. Thank you for the best delicious + healthy ice cream recipe ever. Vegans like you are amazing!
Nourished by Caroline
Thank you so much Christin! That’s so kind of you. I’m happy that you enjoyed the recipe – I love using sunflower seed butter! Enjoy your new ice cream maker. It’s such a fun appliance to have! 🙂