A quick and easy vegan cream of mushroom soup. This soup is dairy-free and extra creamy thanks to cashews. All you need is 30 minutes and 8 basic ingredients.
The creamiest cream of mushroom soup, without the dairy. This recipe is as easy as it gets. Just throw all the ingredients in a saucepan, cook, blend and you’re done. To make it extra easy, the cashews are cooked and blended directly into the soup. There’s no need to make a cashew cream separately.
Not only is this soup easy, but it’s also packed with flavor from the mushrooms, vegetable broth, salty vegan butter, onions, garlic and thyme. Pair it with bread for a light and comforting meal or serve it as an appetizer.
How to Make the Easiest Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
It’s very simple. Start by chopping your vegetables and preparing your ingredients. It’s best to have it all ready once you start cooking.
Sauté your onions and garlic for 5 minutes, then add the mushrooms. Cook for another 5 minutes, then add the thyme and salt. Cook 1-2 minutes and finally, add the cashews and broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes, covered.
Once the soup is done cooking, you just need to transfer it to a blender and blend until creamy. Done!
You’ll get a creamy and flavorful bowl of vegan cream of mushroom soup.
Notes on the Recipe
- This recipe will work best with a high-speed blender. If your blender is on the weaker side, try soaking the cashews overnight. Note that the cashews will also soften a bit after cooking.
- I used cremini mushrooms for a nutty flavor. Feel free to use white button mushrooms if preferred.
- This recipe uses unsalted vegetable broth. If you’re using salted vegetable broth, reduce the added salt to taste. I suggest 1/2-1 teaspoon of salt for this recipe, but I always recommend starting at 1/2 a teaspoon. Taste the blended soup, then add more salt as needed.
Quick Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 6 cups (454g) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, unsalted
- 4 cups vegetable broth, no salt added
- Start by chopping your vegetables and prepare all of your ingredients.
- Heat the vegan butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add your onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes or until fragrant.
- Stir in your sliced mushrooms and sauté for another 5 minutes. Add your salt and thyme and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add your cashews and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer over low-medium heat for 15 minutes, covered. Stir occasionally.
- Once the soup is done cooking, carefully transfer it to a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth, about 30 seconds. If your blender is too small, work in batches.
- Serve immediately or let it cool down and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can also store it in the freezer.
If you make this vegan cream of mushroom soup, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!