Mint Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches
Mint chocolate ice cream sandwiches. Mint matcha ice cream is served between two double chocolate oatmeal cookies. These amazing ice cream sandwiches are vegan and gluten-free.
Here I’m combining two of my favorite recipes: Vegan Double Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies and Vegan Matcha Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream.
If you’re looking for a twist on a typical ice cream sandwich, you need to try this recipe. The combination of mint and chocolate in ice cream sandwich form is the absolute best. It’s rich, yet refreshing thanks to the hearty cookies and mint flavor. It’s a must-try summer treat.
Plus, the recipe is vegan and gluten-free (make sure to use certified gluten-free oats if needed). The cookies are nut-free, but the ice cream isn’t. If you’re looking for a nut-free recipe, you can swap the ice cream for another one.
How to Make Mint Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches:
Here are the steps that you need to make the ice cream sandwiches.
- Prepare the Ice Cream
Start by freezing the bowl of your ice cream maker overnight or for at least 8 hours. The next day, soak the cashews in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Add the drained and soaked cashews in a blender, along with the sugar, coconut milk, peppermint extract and matcha. Blend until smooth. Transfer the mixture to the ice cream maker and churn for 25 minutes. Stir in the chocolate chips. Transfer to a sealable container and freeze until firm, about 3-4 hours.
- Make the Cookies
In a small bowl, combine the ground flax seeds and water. Let it sit to thicken while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. In a large bowl, add the rolled oats, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, sunflower seed butter, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla and chocolate. Add the flax egg and stir well to combine. Scoop the dough to the prepared baking sheet, making 8 cookies. Form them into little mounds to limit the spreading. Bake for 15 minutes at 350°F. Remove from the oven and let them cool completely before making the ice cream sandwiches.
- Make the Ice Cream Sandwiches
Place half of the cookies upside down. Top them with a scoop of ice cream, then close the sandwich with another cookie. Eat immediately or store in an airtight container in the freezer.
This recipe does have several steps and it can seem overwhelming, but trust me, it’s much easier than it looks. There’s very little “active prep time” and most of the time is just waiting for the ice cream to freeze. All you’re doing is combining two simple recipes. I promise it’s worth it!
Mint Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches FAQ:
Yes! This recipe is just a base. You can use any ice cream recipe that you love or use store-bought ice cream. I’m sharing more ice cream recipes below if you want to try different flavors.
Yes! If you don’t have matcha or want a lower caffeine option, you can make the ice cream without the matcha. The matcha is simply used for the green color and a light flavor. It’s still delicious without.
I highly recommend using canned coconut milk (full-fat or low-fat). If you strongly dislike coconut, you can use other plant-based milks, but keep in mind that it will affect the texture. I did try the recipe with oat milk and it doesn’t freeze well in the ice cream maker, but it will continue to freeze in the freezer (I recommend freezing it overnight in this case). It will be harder to scoop, so let it sit at room temperature until it softens.
If you don’t have sunflower seed butter for the cookies, you can use almond butter instead.
If you want more portions (or just smaller portions), you can make smaller cookies. Instead of making 8 cookies, make 10 or 12 smaller cookies. Make sure it’s an even number to make the sandwiches. This will affect the cook time, so I would recommend checking on the cookies after 8-10 minutes, then bake them longer if needed. You can them add a smaller ice cream scoop.
More Vegan Ice Cream Recipes:
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Vegan Cookies and Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- Vegan Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Vegan Pistachio Ice Cream
- Chickpea-Nut Butter Ice Cream
- Salted Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
Mint Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches
For the Mint Chocolate Ice Cream
- 1 cup cashews, raw
- 1 can (14oz/400ml) coconut milk, full-fat or light
- 1/2 cup granulated cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract, more or less to taste
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon matcha
- 1/4 cup mini vegan chocolate chips, dark or semi-sweet
For the Chocolate Cookies
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, softened
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/3 cup sunflower seed butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup granulated cane sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips, dark or semi-sweet
Prepare the Ice Cream
- Start by freezing the bowl of your ice cream maker overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- When the bowl is frozen, prepare the ice cream. Start by soaking the cashews in boiling water for 5 minutes or up to 3 hours. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Add the soaked cashews, coconut milk, sugar, peppermint extract and matcha to a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth, about 30-60 seconds. Taste the mixture and add more peppermint extract or matcha if desired. If the mixture got warm while blending, let it cool in the fridge for 15-30 minutes.
- Place the frozen bowl in the ice cream maker. Turn it on and pour the blended mixture into the ice cream maker. Churn for 25 minutes or until the ice cream is of soft serve consistency. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer to a sealable container and freeze until firm, about 3-4 hours. Meanwhile, you can prepare the cookies.
Prepare the Chocolate Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flax seeds and water. Let it sit to thicken while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut oil, maple syrup, sunflower seed butter and vanilla. Stir in the flax egg and sugar, then add the rolled oats, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Scoop the dough to the prepared baking sheet, making 8 cookies. Form them into little mounds to limit the spreading. Don't flatten them too much or they will spread significantly.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350°F. Remove from the oven and let them cool completely before making the ice cream sandwiches.
Make the Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Turn half of the cookies around. Top them with a scoop of mint chocolate ice cream, then top with another cookie. lightly press to make them hold together and to make them easier to eat.
- Eat immediately or store in an airtight container in the freezer. You can also make the ice cream sandwiches one at a time, just before eating them.
If you make these mint chocolate ice cream sandwiches, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
This post contains affiliate links. I only share products that I trust and recommend. Choosing to use these links helps to support me and this blog. Thank you!