Loaded Vegan Fajita Salad
This loaded vegan fajita salad is packed with color and made with a mix of cooked and raw vegetables. Add a flavorful herb dressing for a delicious healthy meal.
Happy Friday and happy Cinco de Mayo weekend! I have an amazing, colorful salad for you guys to celebrate Cinco de Mayo in a healthy way. That’s not to say you shouldn’t have chips and guacamole or queso as well. There’s place for all of that.
I’ve never exactly celebrated Cinco de Mayo. I only learned about this holiday once I started creating and sharing recipes a few years ago. To me, May 5th has always been my best friend’s birthday.
But I’m all about having an occasion to enjoy Mexican food (even my very non-authentic version of it).
My favorites? Vegan queso, nachos and this fajita salad.
Here’s how you make this salad:
Start by roasting your sweet potatoes (you guys maybe noticed by now how much I love roasted potatoes in salad). By the time your sweet potatoes are done roasting, the salad should be done.
Meanwhile, saute your onions and peppers in a pan. Add the beans and spices to cook it all together.
While everything is cooking, blend all the dressing ingredients in a blender.
Finally, assemble the salad! Add your raw veggies in a bowl. My favorites here are leafy greens and tomatoes. Then, add your roasted sweet potatoes and sautéed vegetables. Top with a diced avocado, green onions and the dressing. Toss it all together and serve!
I don’t know about you guys, but I love and hot and cold salad.
What are you making for Cinco de Mayo?
Loaded Vegan Fajita Salad
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced or cut into fries
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or oil of choice
- 1 medium bell pepper (red, yellow or orange), sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 can (19oz) black beans, rinsed and drained (about 1 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 4 cups leafy greens of choice (lettuce, kale, mixed greens, etc.), packed
- 1 tomato, diced (or a handful or cherry tomatoes, halved)
- 1 avocado, diced
- Green onions for serving (optional)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, ligthly packed
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place the prepared sweet potatoes on a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt to taste. Roast for 30 minutes or until golden and lightly crispy.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and sauté for 5-10 minutes or until softened. Stir in the black beans, cumin, chili powder and salt and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Prepare the dressing: In a high-speed blender or small food processor, add all the dressing ingredients. Blend for 30 seconds.
- Assemble the salad. Place the leafy greens and tomatoes in a large bowl, along with the roasted sweet potatoes and cooked onion, pepper and beans. Drizzle with the dressing and toss to combine.
- Serve into 3-4 bowls, and top with avocado and green onions.
If you make this loaded vegan fajita salad, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!