Here’s a quick guide on how to make cold brew coffee at home! All you need is coffee grounds, water and 5 minutes of preparation.
What is cold brew coffee? It’s the result of steeping ground coffee beans in cold water for an extended period of time. The grounds are the filtered out of the water using a fine mesh sieve or a French press. Cold brew coffee is less acidic and smoother than regular coffee. It’s not the same as iced coffee, which is brewed coffee that has been chilled and served with ice.
You can easily make cold brew coffee at home in just a few simple steps.
What you need:
- Coffee grounds: Choose coarse coffee grounds.
- Cold water: You’ll soak the coffee grounds in cold water.
- A large jar or container: This will be used to let the coffee grounds soak. You’ll also need a second container to store the cold brew.
- A Strainer: You can use a fine mesh sieve, but a French press works as well. A pasta strainer is not what you’re looking for here.
Steps to Make Homemade Cold Brew Coffee:
Add cold water and ground coffee beans in a large jar or container. Start with a 4:1 ratio of water to coffee grounds. Let it steep overnight or for about 12 hours.
Strain the coffee by using a fine mesh sieve and you’re done! Store your homemade cold brew coffee in the fridge for up to a week.
How to Use Cold Brew
Serve your cold brew coffee with ice and your favorite milk or creamer. I love serving it with oat milk! If the cold brew is too strong to your taste, you can easily dilute it with water or milk. The ice will also melt and help dilute the cold brew.
You can also freeze the cold brew into ice cubes and use it to make a homemade Frappuccino, such as this vegan caramel Frappuccino. You could also use these coffee ice cubes to chill your future cups of cold brew.
Tips to Make Cold Brew at Home:
- Use coarse coffee grounds. Espresso grounds will result in a stronger, cloudy coffee.
- Steep your cold brew for 12 hours. If you strain it sooner, your cold brew will be weak and any longer might result in a bitter, stronger drink.
- You can adjust the measurements to your taste. If you find a 4:1 ratio too strong, add more water. You can also make it stronger if preferred. If your cold brew is already done and it’s too strong to your liking, simply add water or milk to dilute your drink.
Cold Brew Coffee
- 1 cup coarse coffee grounds
- 4 cups water, cold or room temperature
- Stir the coffee grounds and water together in a jar until combined.
- Let it steep overnight or for about 12 hours. You can let it steep in the refrigerator or on the counter.
- Using a fine mesh sieve, strain the cold brew to remove the coffee grounds. Do this over a container, which you can then use to store your homemade cold brew. You can also use a French press to strain the cold brew.