This green curry requires only one pot and less than 20 minutes of preparation. This version is made with broccoli and cannellini beans, but feel free to change the vegetables and legumes to your liking. Serve it with rice or naan bread for a delicious, comforting meal!
We still have at least one month of winter-like weather here and I’m not about to give up on comfort food just yet.
This curry has been months in the making and I’m happy to finally share the recipe with you today. I made it for the first time in December before leaving for California and I somehow put it on hold until a few weeks ago. Since then, I tested it at least 4 times (one of which was a failed attempt to make it in the Instant Pot). Trust me, this is not an Instant Pot recipe, unless you want a curried cream of broccoli soup.
Thankfully, the stove top version turned out delicious. The broccoli is just slightly cooked to keep its texture and the broth is perfectly infused with garlic, ginger and curry flavors. Serve it with rice and you get a big bowl of warm, comforting curry.
Notes on the Recipe:
This recipe also freezes well and makes for great leftovers. Yes, the broccoli softens a bit, but the flavor just keeps getting better with time. I like to freeze it directly with the cooked rice for quick and easy meals during the week.
Just like most soups and curries, this recipe can also be adjusted to use any vegetables you have on hand. I used broccoli to make the green shine in this curry, but I also loved it with cauliflower. You could also use zucchini, peas, potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes or a mix of several vegetables. You’ll simply need to adjust the cook time to ensure they’re well cooked.
Finally, I used cannellini beans in this recipe, also known as white kidney beans. Feel free to use your cooked legumes of choice. Chickpeas would be great here, or even cooked green lentils! Just toss them in the dish during the last few minutes of cooking. It’s as simple as that.
Green Curry with Cannellini Beans
- 1 tablespoon oil (olive, avocado or coconut)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced
- 6 cups broccoli florets (about 1 head)
- 1 can (400ml) light coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth, unsalted (or water)
- 3-4 tablespoons green curry paste
- 1 can (540ml) cannellini beans (white kidney beans)
- 3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- Rice or naan bread, for serving
- Heat oil in a large skillet or saucepan. Saute the onion, garlic and ginger until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt.
- Add the broccoli, coconut milk, broth and curry paste. Stir together and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to medium heat. Stir in the cannellini beans and let it all simmer for 5-10 minutes until the broccoli is fork tender.
- Serve with rice or naan bread.
If you make this green curry, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!