Easy vegan french toast, made without eggs and without any added sugar. This is the perfect breakfast or brunch recipe, just in time for Mother’s Day. Top them with mashed berries and nut or seed butter for a healthier breakfast.
Happy Monday! I hope you all had a great weekend and enjoyed some good food for Cinco de Mayo. I didn’t end up cooking anything for the occasion since I spent most of the weekend testing new recipes. That’s okay, our fridge is now stocked with pasta dishes, quinoa salad and desserts. It was a bit of an indulgent weekend.
We did take the time to go on a long hike on Saturday, which was much needed. We don’t know how long we have left in this beautiful place and we’re trying to explore as much as we can while we’re here.
Plus, the weather is absolutely perfect here this time of year (much warmer than I’m used to for May). So I’m enjoying the fresh spring air before it gets too warm this summer.
One of the many recipes I tested this weekend was this vegan french toast.
I’ve been meaning to share french toast for a while now, but I figured the week before Mother’s Day was the perfect occasion to share this breakfast/brunch recipe.
Unlike traditional french toast, this recipe is made without eggs. Instead, I blended plant-based milk (I used almond milk) with cinnamon, vanilla and ground flax seeds to bake a slightly thick “egg” batter.
It’s important to use thick rustic bread for this recipe as sandwich bread will end up being soggy. Here I used a rustic rye bread, but any thick and sturdy bread will work.
Finally, I topped mine with mashed strawberries and peanut butter (my favorite pancake, waffle and french toast toppings). Feel free to use maple syrup, coconut whipped cream or other more traditional toppings. You can also add more cinnamon to the batter if preferred. I went light on the cinnamon, but just make it your own.
All you need is 20 minutes and minimal ingredients to make these vegan french toast for your mom next weekend.
Easy Vegan French Toast
- 6-8 slices rustic, sturdy bread
- 1 cup unsweetened plant-based milk (I used almond milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- Prepare the “egg” batter: Add the almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon and ground flax seeds in a blender. Blend until combined. Let it sit a few minutes to thicken slightly.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and add vegan butter/margarine.
- Once the skillet is heated, dip one slice of bread in the batter on each side (about 10-15 seconds depending on your bread). Don’t let it sit for too long or it will become soggy.
- Place the dipped bread on the skillet and let it cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden. Repeat with each slice of bread.
- Serve with toppings of choice. I love mashed berries and nut or seed butter.
If you make this easy vegan french toast recipe, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!