An easy creamy carrot lentil soup with ginger and turmeric. This nutritious vegan soup is made with a base of carrots, potatoes and red lentils. Serve it with a swirl of coconut milk and freshly ground pepper.
A delicious carrot lentil soup with hints of ginger and turmeric. This creamy soup is light, yet comforting. Enjoy it for a cozy winter meal (or side dish) or prepare it with fresh carrots from your garden during summer. It’s perfect all year round!
What you need: Vegan butter (or olive oil), onions, garlic, ginger, turmeric, carrots, potatoes, red lentils, vegetable broth, coconut milk, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
How to Make A Creamy Carrot Lentil Soup
Start by cooking the onions with vegan butter in a large pot over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add the carrots, garlic and ginger and cook for another 5 minutes. Then stir in the lentils and turmeric and cook for 1 minute. Finally, add the potatoes and vegetable broth.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer over low-medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables and lentils are soft. Add the miso (if using) and coconut milk, then blend the soup. Stir in the lemon juice, taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Enjoy!
Notes on the Recipe:
I don’t find that the soup has a coconut flavor. However, full-fat coconut milk might add a hint of coconut. If you don’t like coconut, you can try using plain, unsweetened cashew milk or soy milk.
I tried this recipe without the potatoes and it was still delicious. The soup will be a little thinner without potatoes, but you can add a little less broth if desired.
This recipe was tested with regular vegetable broth. If you use unsalted broth, add more salt to taste.
The miso is optional. I like to add it for a bit of a tangy flavor and extra salt. Feel free to skip it.
Can You Roast the Carrots?
Roasting carrots helps bring out their best sweet and savory flavor. That being said, I wanted to create a quick and easy recipe, so I skipped this extra step. If you want to try making a roasted carrot soup, feel free to do so. I would recommend roasting the chopped carrots with a drizzle of olive oil for 25-30 minutes at 400°F. Add them to the soup just before blending. I haven’t tried it with this soup yet, but it’s the method I used for this curried roasted carrot and cauliflower soup.
More Vegan Soup Recipes:
- Creamy Mushroom & Wild Rice Soup
- Quick Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Creamy Vegan Cheesy Broccoli Soup
- Simple Lentil Soup
- Curried Roasted Carrot & Cauliflower Soup
Creamy Carrot Lentil Soup (Vegan)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter or olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 lb carrots, chopped (about 8 medium-large carrots)
- 2 small-medium white potatoes, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teapsoons light miso (optional)
- 1 can (14oz) coconut milk, light or full-fat
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, about half a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Heat the vegan butter (or oil) in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until fragrant. Add the carrots, garlic and ginger and cook for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the lentils and turmeric and cook for 1 minute, then add the potatoes and vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer over low-medium heat for 15-20 minutes, covered, or until the vegetables and lentils are soft. The cook time will depend on the size of your chopped vegetables. Add the miso (if using) and coconut milk. Cook for a few minutes.
- Blend the soup until smooth using a hand blender or transfer to a high-speed blender.
- Stir in the lemon juice. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Serve with a swirl of coconut milk if desired.
If you make this creamy carrot lentil soup, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!