Amazing Soft Tofu Scramble
The BEST soft tofu scramble. This easy vegan scramble is a delicious alternative to eggs and the perfect egg-free option for breakfast or brunch. Plus, it’s ready in less than 15 minutes with minimal ingredients.
Looking for a vegan alternative for soft scrambled eggs? This recipe is for you.
To be honest, I didn’t use to like tofu scrambles. Every recipe that I made in the past turned out dry or lacked flavor and salt. This recipe changed everything. It’s full of flavor thanks to a generous amount of nutritional yeast and garlic powder. It also has the perfect soft texture you love from scrambled eggs. Not to mention, it’s all done in less than 15 minutes.
Soft Vegan Tofu Scramble Ingredients and Substitutions:
- Medium-firm tofu: This is of course the most important ingredient. Instead of using extra-firm tofu like most recipes, we’re using medium-firm tofu for a softer texture. It makes all the difference. If you don’t have medium-firm tofu, you can use extra-firm tofu, but you’ll need to add water, one tablespoon at a time, until it softens to your desired texture.
- Nutritional yeast: This will add a cheesy flavor to the scramble, plus a bit of color. I love to add a lot of nutritional yeast to my scramble (up to 2 tablespoons), but I recommend starting with the suggested amount and adding more to your taste.
- Garlic powder: For flavor.
- Turmeric: This is mostly for the color, but it does add a bit of flavor. You can skip it if you don’t have any on hand, but I highly recommend using it.
- Oil: I use olive oil, but a light-tasting oil, such as avocado oil, works as well. Adding a bit of fat adds to the flavor experience and helps you absorb fat-soluble vitamins. I don’t recommend skipping it.
How to Make a Soft Tofu Scramble:
Here are the simple steps that you need to make a soft tofu scramble at home.
- Crumble the tofu
Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-heat. Crumble the tofu and transfer to the skillet.
- Add flavor
Add the nutritional yeast, garlic powder, turmeric and salt, stirring after adding each ingredient to ensure that it’s well combined.
- Cook the tofu scramble
Cook for 5-8 minutes or until you have a soft scramble. If the scramble is getting dry, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time. This shouldn’t be necessary.
Sprinkle with pepper. Serve immediately or store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Soft Tofu Scramble FAQ:
If you decide to add vegetables, start by cooking them in the same pan until softened, before adding the tofu. Then continue cooking the scrambled tofu as instructed. Just keep in mind that this will dilute the flavor and you might want to add a bit more salt. I love to add a bit of mushrooms, peppers, spinach or onions, but my favorite is a plain scramble.
If you want to use extra-firm tofu, your tofu scramble will be a bit more dry. I recommend adding water during the cooking process, about 1 tablespoon at a time until you get your desired texture.
How to Serve your Tofu Scramble
There are so many ways to make and serve this tofu scramble. Here are some of my favorites:
- Plain and simple, served with buttered toasts
- Mixed with sautéed vegetables – Mushrooms, peppers, onions and spinach are my favorites
- Served on top of avocado toasts, like this one
- In a breakfast skillet
- Served with roasted potatoes, hashbrowns, toasts, vegan “sausage” or other brunch favorites
- In a breakfast burrito or wrap
- On breakfast tostadas
The possibilities are endless! You can use it in place of scrambled eggs in so many recipes.
Whether you’re looking for a quick egg-free breakfast or a vegan option for your weekend brunch, this recipe is perfect.
More Vegan Breakfast Recipes:
- Vegan Banana Walnut Bran Muffins (No Added Sugar)
- Vegan Protein Chia Pudding
- 15-Minute Avocado Toast with Tofu Scramble
- Chocolate Coconut Granola
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Easy Protein Overnight Oats (Vegan)
- Simple Strawberry, Banana and Orange Smoothie
Amazing Soft Tofu Scramble
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 block (350-450g) medium-firm tofu, drained
- 1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more or less to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-heat. Crumble the tofu and transfer to the skillet.
- Add the nutritional yeast, garlic powder, turmeric and salt, stirring after adding each ingredient to ensure that it's well combined.
- Cook for 5-8 minutes or until you have a soft scramble. If the scramble is getting dry, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time. This shouldn't be necessary.
- Sprinkle with pepper. Serve immediately or store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
If you make this tofu scramble, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
You can get the Cooking with Legumes eBook here for more vegetarian and vegan recipes using tofu, beans, lentils and more.
My go to breakfast meal
Nourished by Caroline
Thank you Shaun! 🙂