This 5-ingredient avocado tofu pasta is done in 20 minutes and is made with basic plant-based ingredients, including pasta, tofu, avocados, garlic and lemons. Top it with vegan parmesan, nutritional yeast or roasted chickpeas for a delicious and filling vegan dinner.
This recipe is a new and improved version of my avocado tofu pasta recipe originally posted in 2016.
Do you ever forget about old favorite recipes, then fall in love with them all over again? This is what happened here.
I used to make this avocado tofu pasta almost weekly back in high school and university. It was a quick healthy meal to have during exam weeks and I couldn’t get enough! Now it’s becoming a favorite all over again.
I updated the recipe slightly to add more flavor. I also added more notes and substitutions to help you make the best avocado tofu pasta with what you have on hand. I hope you’ll enjoy the recipe as much as I do!
Avocado Tofu Pasta Ingredients:
- Avocado: Fresh avocado make the sauce creamy and nutritious. Make sure to use a perfectly ripe avocado for the best results.
- Tofu: Use medium-firm tofu to make the sauce creamy and add extra protein. You can check out the FAQ section for more details about using extra firm tofu.
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice brightens the sauce and adds a light lemon flavor.
- Garlic: Garlic adds flavor to the sauce. You can easily use more or less to your taste.
- Salt: You can adjust the salt amount as needed.
- Pasta: Use your favorite pasta. I love to use whole wheat or white pasta with added fiber. Regular white pasta or gluten-free pasta work as well.
You also have the option of adding fresh basil to make an avocado pesto sauce (or you can follow this avocado pesto pasta recipe). I love doing this during summer when basil is in season. That being said, the sauce is still delicious without it.
How to Make Avocado Tofu Pasta:
Here are the steps that you need to make a simple avocado tofu pasta.
- Cook the Pasta
Start by cooking the pasta according to the package’s instructions.
- Prepare the Sauce
Add the avocado, tofu, lemon juice, garlic and salt to a food processor and process until smooth.
Drain the pasta and it toss with the sauce. Serve with your toppings of choice. I recommend topping the pasta with vegan parmesan for more flavor. You can also add roasted chickpeas or a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
Notes on the Recipe:
- To add more color and greens to the recipe, you can add spinach to the sauce. I like to add one large handful of spinach to the food processor with the other ingredients. It doesn’t change the flavor significantly, but it adds a beautiful color (like you see in the photos) and extra nutrients.
- For more flavor, add fresh basil. This will create a creamy avocado pesto-like sauce. You can also follow this recipe for an avocado pesto pasta.
- I love adding a few tablespoons of oil to create a creamier, richer sauce. The original recipe was oil-free and this is optional. You can also add a splash of pasta water if needed to help blend the sauce.
- This recipe has a delicious garlicky flavor. If you’re not a fan of garlic, start with 1-2 cloves and add more as needed. Keep in mind that it’s an important ingredient that adds a lot of flavor to this dish.
Avocado Tofu Pasta FAQ:
Medium-firm tofu makes the sauce creamier. If you only have extra-firm tofu on hand, it can work, but you’ll need to add more liquid to make the sauce creamy. I highly recommend using medium-firm tofu if possible.
Yes! You can easily make this recipe gluten-free by using your favorite gluten-free pasta.
More Avocado Recipes:
- Vegan Avocado Pesto Pasta
- Creamy Carrot Top Avocado Sauce
- 15-Minute Avocado Toast with Tofu Scramble
- Vegan Hummus Avocado Sandwich
- My Go-To Avocado Toasts
Watch How to Make Avocado Tofu Pasta:
5-Ingredient Avocado Tofu Pasta
- 4 cups (375g) dry pasta of choice
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 cup medium-firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, about 1 large lemon
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, or more to taste (optional for flavor)
- 1 handful baby spinach (optional for color)
- Roasted chickpeas
- Vegan parmesan
- Nutritional Yeast
- Cook the pasta according to package's instructions.
- Add the avocado, tofu, lemon juice, garlic and salt (plus olive oil, spinach and/or basil if using) to a food processor. Process until smooth. Add a touch of pasta water if needed to make the sauce creamy.
- Stir the sauce with the drained pasta until combined.
- Serve with roasted chickpeas, vegan parmesan, nutritional yeast and/or pepper to taste if desired.
If you make this avocado tofu pasta, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!